Chickens "back end" seems to be clogged

animal boy

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 9, 2012
My one chickens "business end" is covered in poop. I tried to clean some of it off today (she hated it). I really didn't think much of it but I went out into there run an found my oldest chicken dead
1f625.png
1f62b.png
1f629.png
. We thought that she may have over heaten since its been really hot the last few days, but Could this be some kind of disease that I should really be worried about. Since the one chicken is attracting more bugs because of its Probelm. I was thinking its something in the coop and i would move the remaining 3 into a smaller coop for now. Please help ASAP thanks

Last edited:
You need to trim the feathers of the one with the droppings, then bathe her bottom if it still needs more cleaning. That way you can get a look at her vent, and make sure everything looks okay. There could be vent gleet or a worm problem, or maybe nothing at all. I have a couple of hens that look that way, so I have to get out the scissors now and then, although they seem to not have any problem. I have read about others having a similar issue--no worms, no vent gleet. Mine just seem to be low in the pecking order.

Woke up this morning and found she appeared to be pooping out her insides
1f62b.png
. She has maggots all over her an I think at this point she is just suffering, is there any hope or should I just put her down?

Update: she died today.
1f625.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom