Chickens bleeding through the nose/mouth, dying

Not just rat poison; look for D-Con too, or any of the knock-off rodent killers on the market.
Also, if any people nearby are on coumadin as a blood thinner/high blood pressure medicine and it's possible the chickens have gotten into thrown away medicine (or in their water supply?). Coumadin is rat poison.

Thanks for the link! Yes, some of the hens have visibly pale combs. One that is sick certainly has very pale comb. The other one is just a two month old chick, so cannot tell.
I'll get some vitamin K tomorrow and try to force it into them. I tried giving them spinach today, but they did not like it.

I just hate to think my neighbours would do something like that. But I guess if another hen dies, I'll have to bring her to the vet for the blood analysis to see if there any arsenic. But even if it is, how do I prove they did it. So upsetting.

rat poison causes massive internal bleeding, and it would come from all orificies. I don't know anything about ILT...but I agree it sounds like rat poison cases that I've seen/heard about. Unfortunately, I do not think there is a chicken-reasonable cure (ie - there may be one for people, but not for animals).

Pen everyone up IMMEDIATELY. If it is rat poison, and they can't get into it anymore, you should have your losses quickly, albeit dramatically.

Whatever it is - so sorry you are going through this!
Large doses of Vitamin K counteract rat poison...

Thank you. That explains why our darling hen died today - not rat poison as she'd not have been able to access that, but we believe she must have eaten a rat or mouse that had eaten the poison. She was bleeding from the eyes and ears and then we put her down. Very sad. But now I know what it was.

Back
Top Bottom