Crusty eyes crusty nose lethargic

Appalachiachicks

Hatching
Mar 12, 2024
Alright guys I've been raising chickens for 10 years and I've never had this issues.. Crusty eyes and nose like you would see a human have if they had pink eye. I know if it's running eyes and nose it's respiratory and contagious. I don't want this to be the end of all my chickens....and I have a lot. Thankful the ones that are getting it are separate from my other birds. It's my silkies. I've separated the two that are showing symptoms. The others seem fine. One is definitely dying I don't see it pulling through. The other has its eyes glued shut but still has a little energy. What medicine do I need to give them and how can I insure no one else gets it? I have geese, ducks, chickens, everywhere and I'm really worried they're all going to catch it and I won't be able to control it.

If you lose the one that is really sick, get it necropsied. Then you will know for sure what is going on. Whether it's viral, bacterial, etc, and whether it will affect your flock or not. Testing is the best way to identify what it is. If you have a vet that will see a bird they can also test. If it's respiratory then often Tylan or Tylosin is the treatment, but for some of the diseases you can only treat the symptoms when they occur, it's not cured. The birds are carriers, and symptoms can recur especially during times of stress, and they can spread it. I would also use warm wet compresses to clean up the eyes, flush them out well removing all gunk, and apply either terramycin eye ointment several times a day (available at many feed stores) or plain neosporin the same way to prevent or take care of any secondary infection that may be going on in the eyes. There are numerous respiratory virus's it could possibly be, and most of them are very contagious. Are these new birds you got recently?
Necropsy resources by state:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html
https://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/nahln/downloads/all_nahln_lab_list.pdf

Back
Top Bottom