Chickens bullying / feather plucking .. I need help

Castronaut

In the Brooder
Sep 15, 2021
I have exhausted all my resources all my reading to the best that I have can with my chickens.

However they are still pecking feathers out from each other and bullying.

I have 11 chickens a mix of Easter eggs let’s , welsummers, isa browns, Cochins and australorps.

My chickens have been pecking everyone’s feathers it seems like they are all bald .

I have reduced the size of my flock , given them meat as protein, tried the no peck sprays and creams ..

All to no help.

I’m extremely sad and feel like I have failed with raising my chickens ..

Any help would be greatly appreciated I will try anything to make them happy and not want to peck any more feathers .

Please and thank you

Attachments

• 345F7E94-1D1C-43FE-AA17-B5409D03B93B.jpeg
    345F7E94-1D1C-43FE-AA17-B5409D03B93B.jpeg
    636.9 KB · Views: 215
Good luck.

Is their feed elevated protein? Over a layer feed, I would suggest a 20% protein all-flock. I see you’ve supplemented protein, just wasn’t sure about the feed.

In your picture, I see 4 birds up on a high spot. Make more high spots and add some roosts in the run. One year we had a difficult integration…tons of bullying going on with the young birds by the older birds (despite see-no-touch for 3-4 weeks prior). We added roosts in the run and they helped greatly. When they roost in the run they don’t seem to pick at each other - it’s different than roosting at night when they squabble.

Hopefully the pinless peepers help too.

Elevate protein, have adequate foraging space or free range time, provide a hanging cabbage or corn cob, etc., if confined to a pen for their protection against predators.
Chickens all want to peck & forage, they do need the space to do that. Mine love "weeding & debugging" the yard & garden. If they can't peck around outside at some point, they'll peck eachother or peck eggs.

Good advice was given. I hope you find some things that will help.
I just wanted to add, if you know who the culprits are doing the pecking or it seems lie all/most of them? If it's one or two hens maybe separating those out in a pen within the run for a time.

Back
Top Bottom