Chicken's Butt is not ok!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kmccullough, Dec 7, 2013.

1. kmccullough

kmccullough New Egg

Jan 17, 2013
    Hey all! My hen's rear end is not looking okay at all! Most of her feathers are gone (I think she got stuck somewhere in my yard a few weeks ago!) and it's all poopy and matted and gross! She's still laying and eating and drinking and my five other hens are fine. Any idea as to what might me going on or as to what I should do?

Thanks!

[​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. Your chicken may have vent gleet or worms. What I would do is trim the solid poo and feathers around the vent, then clean her up and dry her before putting her back outside. This will give you an opportunity to closely look at the vent area. If it is reddened and has any whitish or yellow patches, vent gleet, a fungus infection may be the cause. An antifungal cream such as Miconazole or the sulfur-based cream Nustock can be applied daily or as needed. Probiotics in the diet or just a small amount of plain yogurt twice a week will help her gut bacteria improve. Regular worming with Safeguard horse paste or liquid goat wormer will help also. Twice a year is a good schedule, spring and fall. Here is a good link: http://www.tillysnest.com/2012/12/vent-gleet-prevention-and-treatment.html

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    x2. Looks like vent gleet.

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    x3

5. kmccullough

kmccullough New Egg

Jan 17, 2013
    Thank you so much you guys!! I really appreciate it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by