Chickens by Easter .... Maybe

Pics
I was about to ask the same :) - went back through the thread and found this: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/chickens-by-easter-maybe.1438812/page-7#post-24249925

What's with the wood deck on the ground?
That wood could be much better used as a run roof, or something else.
My first thought is that it would be great place for 'things' to live under there.

The deck is whats left of a kennel floor. Years ago my daughter raised Irish Wolfhounds and we helped her out by keeping some here when it was needed. The wood is treated and years old so it is pretty much mummified and useless taken apart. I left it there thinking it was a nice level place out of the dirt and muck to place things. Like a feeder and waterier. The wife wanted a place for some chicken amusements and such also.

The deck is leveled, blocked, and back filled so there is no hollow space under it. Or there wasn't when I built the kennels. Over the years something may have tunneled under it but I'm pretty sure nothing big is under there. Hopefully the chickens will take care of anything else that might call it home.

Mainly, it was easier to just leave it than try and move it since the posts are 3 feet in the ground and the concrete and blocks would be a pain.

When we start composting, with the chickens help, shredded leaves in the run that deck should just vanish over time.

The first outing of the flock is over and all went well. I was afraid the chickens wouldn't want to go back into the coop, but I was wrong. Just as it was getting dusk-dark they started finding their way back into the coop all on their own. Only two had to be shooed a little to get them in.

F3AF8424-3F8E-403E-9CA1-7F06B57D357F.jpeg

Well the chickens seem to like it well enough. Mount and clip the fence charger in tomorrow and these chicks will be on automatic.

around Labor Day we should see the first eggs.

I thought I had already posted this .... When I ordered the chicks, I thought I was getting White Leghorns. I didn't under stand what they meant when they said that "if you don't specify White only they reserve the right to substitute Ideal 236 if needed". Well I didn't specify all white so I got the these instead. I'm not disappointed since I think these might be a better choice for here. Now I know to make sure I understand what everything actually means before I say okay. :idunno

This is what I got .... The Ideal 236 is a highly productive white egg layer that was originally developed at Ideal Poultry Breeding Farms Inc. in the 1960's from White Leghorns, Brown Leghorns, Anconas and California Grays for resistance to Marek's disease. Ideal 236 chicks have single combs and are pale yellow, with some having a small number of black spots. They have clean, yellow legs and feet. Adults have white plumage with a few black spots and a body that is similar but slightly larger than a typical White Leghorn.

Question on nest boxes: I'm getting lazy and lumber is still way high so I'm now thinking of using plastic milk crates for nest boxes on the floor of the coop. Is this a sound idea or should I do a little more thinking on the matter?
Should work fine. Chickens will use anything they deem suitable as a nest site - whether it's plastic, wood, ceramic, etc.

Follow up on the nest box question: They should start laying in approximately 7 weeks. How soon should I put the milk crates in place, or does it matter? I assume that they will need time to figure out what the new furniture is for.

Follow up on the nest box question: They should start laying in approximately 7 weeks. How soon should I put the milk crates in place, or does it matter? I assume that they will need time to figure out what the new furniture is for.
Good to put them in a couple-few weeks before they start laying,
to make sure they don't try to sleep in them.
Mounting them lower than the roosts should prevent that tho.

Back
Top Bottom