Chickens by Easter .... Maybe

From what I learned in my research, I will start the Corid treatment in the morning for all ten birds.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Mainly you want to make sure that the lethargic bird is drinking the Corid water. If they're weak enough they may not want to drink at all, which means you'll need to dose her with it until she's able to.

Started the Corid water treatment this morning with a sparkly clean waterier.

Poop inspection scored two very small poops that "may" have had a little blood in them. Hard to see them even with a flashlight. The ones yesterday were bright red and large.

Nine hens passed the scratch test with flying colors and the one lethargic bird failed. Although she is a little more active this morning. She was out in the run with the other birds doing a little scratching and pecking around while showing a lot more interest in what was going on around her. She did at least try and compete in the scratch test today but wasn't moving fast enough and was bumped out of the way by the other birds.

Nine birds are freely drinking the Corid water but I wasn't able to witness the sick bird drink. I think she did but I lost track of her in the flock. I will band her today and solve that problem.

Corid works pretty fast. This morning I found no red poops and the lethargic bird, now known as Fran since she can be identified by the nifty little purple plastic, made in china, ankle bracelet she now sports, passed the scratch test. Not with flying colors, but she was in there with the other nine pushing and shoving for a share. She even participated in a short game of keep-away with a couple of her sisters. She is still a little slow but has really perked up.

I believe she will be back up to speed by the end of the 5 day treatment.

I won't bore y'all with any more sick chic reports after today but I do have a question.

No red poops this morning, all birds, drinking, eating, and arguing in a normal fashion. The question is: do I need to dose them for another week with the 6%(?) solution since this was a very mild out break and with only one bird that showed any symptoms? Or just start them back on water after the original five days treatment is up and observe. That would be Monday.

The question is: do I need to dose them for another week with the 6%(?) solution since this was a very mild out break and with only one bird that showed any symptoms?
I would finish the treatment - doesn't hurt them to drink Corid water for a while and you want to make sure you wipe out this batch of parasites as completely as possible, or you increase the chance of having survivors that become more resistant to the treatment.

The first egg/s must be getting close. Today is the second day in a row that one of my birds has prostrated or squatted themselves at my feet. Not sure if it is the same bird twice or two different birds.

F3A04B1B-004A-4117-A392-2B65A1AFB80F.jpeg

Thinking of having my daughter print this image on the side of a coffee mug for me with the caption "Chicken Daddy". That should give my mornings a proper start.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom