Chickens by Easter .... Maybe

Pics
Just hanging out and enjoying the cool of the evening before bed time.

496F258F-3781-4CAF-962C-EF922C50BB3D.jpeg
0515C940-0808-46A1-A758-287C76569AEC.jpeg

How are they tolerating the Texas Heat????
Fine so far. The ambient temp in the coop as been in the high 90's with 101 being the highest. Outside high temps have been 94 to 97 with a feels like temp of 111 yesterday. There has been almost no breeze to speak of either.

I have a small fan blowing through the coop that helps and I am thinking of installing an exhaust fan in one wall to help move the heat out when there is no breeze. Can't pull the numbers off the top of my head but the fan will exchange the air inside the coop every 2 minutes. Does this sound like a good idea?

During the hottest part of the day the chickens will bed down in the coop for a few hours. The only signs of heat stress I see are a little panting and both wings slightly raised from the body. Nothing to indicate they might be in distress though. Water and feed consumption is normal and all 10 are highly active when they go after the little bit of scratch that I toss out for them in the morning and evening.

I have a small fan blowing through the coop that helps and I am thinking of installing an exhaust fan in one wall to help move the heat out when there is no breeze. Can't pull the numbers off the top of my head but the fan will exchange the air inside the coop every 2 minutes. Does this sound like a good idea?
Better to blow cooler air inside. Exhaust fan can clog with dust.

El/Vits and ice blocks is what I use here.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/aarts-extreme-weather-spiel.75893/

I am thinking of installing an exhaust fan in one wall to help move the heat out when there is no breeze.

If you do this be sure to get a barn-rated one for safety.

The only signs of heat stress I see are a little panting and both wings slightly raised from the body. Nothing to indicate they might be in distress though. Water and feed consumption is normal and all 10 are highly active when they go after the little bit of scratch that I toss out for them in the morning and evening.

*nods*

Our southern chickens get acclimated.

Mine dig into the ground in search of a cool layer -- sometime to the depth of their backs. I give them the electrolytes once a week if it's into the mid or upper 90's.

Mine dig into the ground in search of a cool layer -- sometime to the depth of their backs. I give them the electrolytes once a week if it's into the mid or upper 90's.
I think that is what mine are doing with their dust bin. It got rained on and the dirt/wood ash are still just a little damp down deep so I think that is why they are all starting to pile into it now. I believe I will soak it again tomorrow morning to keep it damp. They have two other places they have dug out to stretch out in also.

Back
Top Bottom