Chickens cackling - more with spring weather or distressed?

Beninme8997

Hatching
6 Years
Mar 30, 2013
Maine
We have 4 Aravcanas Easter Eggers and 2 Rhode Island reds that are 10 months old. They roam the fenced backyard on weekends when we are around and stay in a coop with an enclosed run on the weekdays. They all lay well and daily. Lately they are cackling ALOT. Is this normal?

My situation is exactly the same as yours. I let them out at 6am and lock them away again at 7.45 when I leave for work... I usually lie in bed for a while after I let them out and oe of my hens just stands at the door squawking madly at me. lol.. She really likes my company and whenever I leave her she screeches.

Alecia - Have you noticed more clucking, calling etc. with the warmer weather? My only other thought is that they got spooked recently by a fox and are on 'alert'...

I'm in Australia so it's actually getting colder for me. Lately though I have noticed that the are screeching more. But that could be because they are spoilt little brats. Lol!! (They are my only babies and I treat them like my babies)

Here is the loudest of the bunch.

Yeah she looks like my noisy one! Mine is an isa brown and she has a really loud, hoarse voice that sounds like she's being strangled. Lol! And she sounds like she is whining all the time

Interesting. We are in Maine, USA. I always thought that roosters were noisy and chickens were mostly quiet. They are no more louder than the other wild birds, and certainly not as loud as the neighbors dog. Here is our coop 3 weeks ago still covered with winter snow.

Back
Top Bottom