Chickens can't find way out!

The fencing that separates my pens is chicken wire and welded wire. Chicken wire will rust out after a few years unless you buy the coated wire. I'm old and it's getting harder as each year goes by. 2 or 3 years ago I knew I had to replace some of the fencing because it was rusting and needed replacing so I put up the welded wire up and some chicken wire because I used 2"x4" welded wire and the males in each pen were fighting through the welded wire so up went the chicken wire. So far it's working well and I'll never have to replace the welded wire as it will outlast me.

Chicken wire with an electric wire is totally different then just chicken wire ....

They shouldn’t even make chicken wire , it gives people the illusion that it’s safe and good enough .

@QuirkyGoddess .... So there's a ramp down to new area?
Do they know how ramps work....have one on their coop??

It doesn't look like you have access to this new run extension?
Would help to have pics that are more clear of the interior.

Do you have access to the main run?
Sprinkle some scratch on the ramp to lure them back up.

How big is opening between the 2 runs?
How old are the birds?

Last edited:
I'm lucky, even though I have seen coons on my game cameras they have never gotten any of my birds. I have had my share of predation in the past but every time something has gotten any of my birds, I saw on the cameras the culprit and dealt with it so I wouldn't have the problem again.

We HAVE had success! Pieces of a discarded water stand are serving as two crude steps. Then dirt, scattered sunflower seeds...and we have footprints(?Chick prints?) I think the majority of confusion was which way was out. Brand new digs, no worn path and a different way into the run that they know...they couldn't findd "out" for the same reason pictures are lousy. The wire is invisible to chickens. And the camera. Trust me i tried for a better pict! I had two verical panels of wire and took one down to connect this space. So the connection is plenty big,approx. 2'x3'.
My goal is to create this area as a pocket of lower, cooler, shade space. Wishing to grow (ANYTHING) through the pallet and cool that space. I planted mint and oregano plants, as well as seeding the area a bit. Figured my chicks can graze but plants can't be eaten entirely. (I should add i also like it as a winter hangout that'll be dry)
So far PREDATOR wise: i have only neighborhood cats and mice (Knock on wood). And ants. WHY CAN'T THE CATS EAT THE MICE?!..alas, a different thread. Also going to start another thread debating Hardware cloth (Hard on chicken feet, and WHAT SIZE?!) vs. coated welded wire (but its not galvanized!) vs CHICKEN WIRE. I mean really, what the F is C.wire even for and should anyone use it?

Back
Top Bottom