Chickens cause UTI's in humans, say CDC

Golly gee, I wonder how humans got UTI 100 years ago? Or in Europe? Africa? Australia? Asia? Or where vegetarians get them? Huh. They must all be lying to us to get sympathy. Jerks.

I should apply to be a scientist in the CDC, they apparently hire people off the streets with no degrees. I could just make up whatever outlandish thing I could think of to grab headlines. E-coli is everywhere, including.......GASP chickens! It MUST be related! And it's in no way linked to the fact that there are millions of e-coli on every object/animal/person on the planet.

I wonder what they'd say if I wrote a letter proposing that bacterial infections are related to people who wear shoes. It's more true than the garbage they just wrote.

I just cringe whenever I read this type stuff. What bothers me about irresponsible reports like these is that many people are just not all that bright. They'll take this tidbit and run with it in panic. Next thing you know, they'll be blaming their next UTI on the neighbor's flock. Yes, some are really that clueless and we all know it. Remember the bird flu panic? This could conceivably start something similar. Facts become jumbled in human minds, reworked, mistranslated and come out looking nothing like they began, then it all goes viral (pardon the bird flu pun) and we spend all our time correcting it and protecting our right to keep chickens again.
hmm.png

I just cringe whenever I read this type stuff. What bothers me about irresponsible reports like these is that many people are just not all that bright. They'll take this tidbit and run with it in panic. Next thing you know, they'll be blaming their next UTI on the neighbor's flock. Yes, some are really that clueless and we all know it. Remember the bird flu panic? This could conceivably start something similar. Facts become jumbled in human minds, reworked, mistranslated and come out looking nothing like they began, then it all goes viral (pardon the bird flu pun) and we spend all our time correcting it and protecting our right to keep chickens again.
hmm.png

It greatly saddens me to hear people propose that NOTHING new should come out because the poor dumb masses (or dumbasses, your choice) will get it all confused and jumbled in their tiny little minds. Honestly, must we dumb down EVERYTHING to the lowest common denominator? Or worse yet, stifle anything new because it might confuse someone?

Just another step in the administrations master plan. They cant raise our own food! How will they become dependent on us if the have they're own gardens and greenhouses and raise they're own livestock. This must be stopped!

hmm.png

It greatly saddens me to hear people propose that NOTHING new should come out because the poor dumb masses (or dumbasses, your choice) will get it all confused and jumbled in their tiny little minds. Honestly, must we dumb down EVERYTHING to the lowest common denominator? Or worse yet, stifle anything new because it might confuse someone?

you must be thinking about the public school system. some other race might get left behind. government indoctrination centers. i am going to keep growing my own food and keep eating chicken.

I cannot see anything in that study that is evidence of some government plan to prevent people from raising chickens. It says nothing about chickens being the cause of UTIs, the causes remain the same as always,most typically, contamination from your own intestinal flora, again typically E.coli. Because E. coli has many sub- types, it can be traced to various sources and it is known that meat can be one source, there are many other nonmeat sources, but they weren't looking at that in this particular study.

Should be out brush cutting, but it's raining :( .

First, the ACTUAL study is interesting and represents another brick in the wall/potential doorway for further research for/by epidemiologists (particularly IDing Specific relationships between strains of E. Coli). The study was funded by the Canadians, and the CDC just published it in their monthly journal. http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/18/3/pdfs/11-1099.pdf

Anyone remember the 2008 tomato scare (salmonella)? Farmers destroying their crops/Congressional hearing/no one buying tomatoes/Federal subsidies to growers going out the door. Had we seen to Congress spending the tax money on better testing and more inspectors this would never have happened (had the `news' orgs and bloggers just stuck to reading the actual data on the SMALL outbreak - even more tax money wouldn't have been spent). So, months afterwards, and hardly reported at all, the outbreak was traced to a single pond on a jalapeno farm in Mexico (finally spent some funds on the testing - but too little, too late).

Now, how do the infotainers/advertisers view it?

1. Still more women consuming TV/health info than men
2. more women develop UTI's
3. UTI `study' CHICKEN!!! (women do more shopping)
4. UTI story on tube/web (don't bother the little ladies with the limitations of the study - it might confuse them ;) ) woman hears part of it from kitchen (the retail chicken and UTI's!!!)
5. cut to commercial for 409 cleaner.
6. Woman later goes shoppiing - sees dreadful packaged chicken - reminds her she needs 409 Cleaner!!!
7. Profit!!

Yes, it is just that simple and cynical.

Not unlike the cynical use `reporting' of bipartisan updates to old laws to push an agenda (we went through this with SB210 last year - post up the regs for Already Regulated Facilities and swear, on a stack of bibles, that those rules would be applied to everyone (an absolute lie), that big gov/obama was going after the radishes in one's backyard - actual result of all that letter writing and mouthbreathing? Poor farmers who happen to make over $500K a year and were previously UNregulated - now have to be inspected.... once every 7 years).

Show Me the Source material and I can make up my own mind (Federal Register/EDGAR/Actual research paper/etc.) Had I taken the shortwave broadcasting bozos to heart when I was 6 yrs old, I'd still be out in the Mojave desert waiting for the Red Chinese (unloaded from their subs in the Sea Of Cortez) and their Cuban lackeys to come streaming across the Mexican border to sack and pillage the Greater Southwest (you should have heard the stuff I was plied with back in `60-`62).

It greatly saddens me to hear people propose that NOTHING new should come out because the poor dumb masses will get it all confused and jumbled in their tiny little minds. Honestly, must we dumb down EVERYTHING to the lowest common denominator? Or worse yet, stifle anything new because it might confuse someone?
QFT

Knowledge is power, and lack of knowledge is ignorance and fear.

I refuse to be ignorant or fearful.

Imp

First, the ACTUAL study is interesting

Years ago, I decided that all mainstream media coverage of any scientific study is good for is to alert me to the existence of the study. If it seems interesting, I'll go chase down the actual study. The popular press almost always misinterprets, exaggerates, and generally screws up their coverage of science.

Back
Top Bottom