Chickens chewing when I pet them. What does it mean?

Harun

Songster
Apr 10, 2021
I have a good relationship with most of my flock and tend to treat them like pets via picking them up, petting them, etc. Sometimes when I scratch or pet them in certain places they chew like something's in their mouth even though there's nothing. I've done copious of Google searches on the topic but never got a clear answer as to why they do that. Do you chicken lovers know why?

Let's call that "smacking". Some of mine do that when I'm holding them. I don't know for sure what it signifies, but the hens that do it are the hens that feel entitled to be picked up and held on demand. Their demand, that is. I have the feeling it's a self satisfied smacking.

These hens also "paw" the ground when standing at my feet looking up at me, which I know indicates they want to snuggle in my arms. One in particular would be content to be a "purse chicken", carried around all day with me wherever I go as some do with small dogs.

Let's call that "smacking". Some of mine do that when I'm holding them. I don't know for sure what it signifies, but the hens that do it are the hens that feel entitled to be picked up and held on demand. Their demand, that is. I have the feeling it's a self satisfied smacking.

These hens also "paw" the ground when standing at my feet looking up at me, which I know indicates they want to snuggle in my arms. One in particular would be content to be a "purse chicken", carried around all day with me wherever I go as some do with small dogs.
Oh, that's funny, and pretty cute! Thank you for the reply. Pretty interesting how much personality these creatures have.

Back
Top Bottom