Chickens: Chicken Stock

Pics

frugal

Songster
11 Years
Aug 9, 2008
NEK, Vermont
Chickens: Chicken Stock

I've always loved stocks and sauces. They add an inexpensive explosion of flavors to most any meal, spicing them up a little or a lot depending on your recipe and on the amount you use. The first sauce I came to love as a child was catsup and I still do! In fact, I make my own catsup, whoops, I mean table sauce now. And the asian style Plum Sauce I make with plums from my plum trees...out of this world!

Years ago I sold fresh Vermont duck, pheasant, game hens, turkey, lamb, forage, etc., to some of the finest restaurants in Vermont and the NYC/NJ metroplex. I became friends with a couple of chefs from 3 and 4 star kitchens. I always watched and listened whenever I was in their kitchens. I picked up alot of what I know about cooking from these men. One of them now lives in Vermont and we're close friends so I'm still learning, always learning.

Stocks, reduction sauces, and soups are a normal part of life on the homestead. My wood cook stove is always running and many times you'll find a pot of something cooking away. Chicken stock is so versatile. You can use it to cook your rice in for a savory rice dish or boil your potatoes in for some extra flavor. Use it as a broth for someone who's ill or as a base for soup or other sauces. Be creative.

Remember all the extra pieces from my Killing, Plucking, Eviscerating and Cutting Up Your Chicken pictorial?
Here's how I use some of them.

49.jpg

I'm using the backbones, necks and feet in this stock.

01.jpg

I grow alot of my vegetables in raised beds—it works great in Vermont.
I always leave carrots, parsnips and beets in one of them to harvest throughout the winter.
Here I dug up some carrots for my stock and they were delicious.
I'll can the rest of the bed sometime soon.

02.jpg

Chicken, Celery, Onions, Carrots

03.jpg

Pack it all on there, it'll roast down.

05.jpg

Roast at 300° or so until nice and brown.

08.jpg

Just about right.

10.jpg

It looks good enough to munch on already.

11.jpg

Into the stock pot.
I never seem to have enough stock pots, do you?

15.jpg

And let it boil for hours, adding water as necessary.
I cook on a wood fired cook stove that we also use for heat, it's always hot.
What a great place to keep a pot cooking.

16.jpg

My stock has cooked for a little over 24 hours.
It has a gelatinous consistency and is as flavorful as it looks!
Time to strain all the chunks out.

17.jpg

I'll run this through my meat grinder and feed it to my dogs.

18.jpg

It's resting now with all the fat hardening on the top for easy removal.

19.jpg

Before I removed the fat layer.

20.jpg

After the fat is removed.

21.jpg

Yummy.

25.jpg

All canned and ready to rock 'n roll!

That looks delicious! I bet it has amazing flavor.

In another thread, you said you make your own pizza sauce. Would you be willing to share your recipe sometime? My husband LOVES pizza.

I love your step by step pictures. I really enjoy reading your threads and look forward to the next one. Thanks for sharing.
smile.png

Excellent post! Your photos are always awesome and your descriptions as well. Your pizza pie you made as well looked delicious. I cant wait to see what else you have in store, I'll continue looking for your posts!

Quote:
Your husband sounds like a good man!

Yes, I'll be posting a number of recipes as I have time, like everyone else I'm always stretched kinda thin. And I try to keep my pictorials simple and interesting so people actually try new stuff. I found most things are very easy to accomplish once they're laid out properly, broken down into bite sized pieces if you will. Everything I do is so simple, so easy or I wouldn't be doing it.

I've had a few days break in the middle of lambing and kidding season on the ranch here so I've been on the net more than normal. However, we tapped 500 trees this weekend and the sap will soon be running and Maple Sugaring season will begin once more! And I'm in the middle of recording our latest CD and still need 2 more weeks of studio time to finish. All that to say it may take awhile but I'm not ignoring your request.

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

smile.png

Quote:
Thanks for the kind words Redfeathers, they make cold wet days more enjoyable!

Quote:
You're welcome!

We're having mud season here and it's cold and rainy. Yesterday I made a vegetable soup using this stock that not only warmed us on a bitter cold day but tasted awesome. I've been debating having some for breakfast but I have a hankering for some scrambled duck eggs so it'll need to wait for lunch, and it'll taste even better than last evening!

smile.png

Wow that looks YUMMY!
I would've never thought of roasting everything together like that.

I normally just toss it into a stock pot an boil away.

I just made a (store bought) turkey for dinner last night. I saved all the goodies from inside so that I can make some broth for soup.

I usually pick most of the meat off the bones and boil them too.

well frugal it all has been in the crock pot all night, and thanks again I too did not realize to roast the parts and veggies first. I added some fresh onions (un roasted) to the mix before I began boiling it cause i am a onion freak
smile.png
I am so excited it smells delicious!

I am going to make Armenian chicken soup for lunch today since it seems as all this rain has messed with our health and we are all sneezing and stuffed up.
smile.png

Love your posts. Oh by the way thought you might get a kick out of this. I used a processor I only had 3 and no time and it was pouring yesterday. I had never used these guys before. well I also had never taken the sock off the feet before. Well I guess they did it for me cause i stood there trying to take off the "sock" which obviously was no longer there until I reffered back to your post and realized it had already been done lol. My mom (who is visiting) thought I was crazy lol

edited to say I too used my own carrots I do the same thing in a raised bed, I love how sweet they get after a good frost/winter

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom