Chickens crop is literally rotting off

Before you do anything drastic please see a vet. The crop is an actual sack that sits under the skin. If it has a hole, that part needs to be repaired as well as muscle and skin, something you really shouldn't do at home.

This along with the fact that she needs to be anesthetized for the surgery. Can you imagine the pain of someone cutting the skin off your chest while you were awake with nothing to dull it? It would be excruciating. Animals do feel pain just like us. She could easily go into shock just from cutting the skin alone.
I already said I was going to a vet! I don't plan on doing this myself.

If she is not feeling pain when you cut at it, it's pretty advanced stage problem you have there. The thing might be acting normal because so much has rotted away the nerves are shot too and she's literally not aware of how bad she is. All that rot, she's swallowig it and it's getting into her system too. I don't want to be the danny downer here but I think this is a dead bird walking. Don't be surprised if maggots show up soon, because the flies will smell that rot and lay in it too.

IF you decide to do surgery, super glue will hold the skin together over the wound, it can hold flesh together too somewhat, just be careful when applying you don't glue your fingers to her, and cause more tissue trauma having to rip your glued finger out of her... whatever.

Good luck and I hope she gets better but this sounds so bad already.

Aaron
I know it's a long shot. I haven't cut at anything on her. I only trimmed feathers back. I will get an appointment with the avian vet tomorrow. She was extremely sick a few weeks ago which I assume was the start of this.

There was a topic before I can't remember where about euthanasia for birds and the best ways to do it.
In a case like this, or any really.
What if one needed to put a bird down, didn't have the heart to do it by hand, or Co2 etc, but had some oxycontin or something? From what I have seen of people OD'ing on the stuff, they basically get lethargic and goto sleep and never wake up.

Could you like give a bird a perocet or an oxy to put it down, IF you had access to those drugs, like you or a relative used them?

Just curious.. especially in a case like this where it is a pain reliever too and would be an especially .. better way of putting it down because it would help remove current suffering and pain... does this even make sense?

Aaron

There was a topic before I can't remember where about euthanasia for birds and the best ways to do it.
What if one needed to put a bird down, didn't have the heart to do it by hand, or Co2 etc, but had some oxycontin or something? From what I have seen of people OD'ing on the stuff, they basically get lethargic and goto sleep and never wake up.

Could you like give a bird a perocet or an oxy to put it down, IF you had access to those drugs, like you or a relative used them?

Just curious.. especially in a case like this where it is a pain reliever too and would be an especially .. better way of putting it down because it would help remove current suffering and pain... does this even make sense?

Aaron
Since OP is taking this chicken to the vet, I imagine the vet can euthanize her if they think she’s past helping.

@AngelicaRoss, I hope that’s not the case and I’m glad you’re able to take her to the vet!

Aaron
You could ask in a new thread. Wondering now that you mentioned it.

Since OP is taking this chicken to the vet, I imagine the vet can euthanize her if they think she’s past helping.

@AngelicaRoss, I hope that’s not the case and I’m glad you’re able to take her to the vet!
I am getting an appointment with a vet in the morning. If nothing can be done I will certainly have a vet put her down. I have no interest in OD'ing my chicken on prescription narcotics.

Aaron
No, OD'ing a chicken on prescription narcotics makes zero sense. Seems like a good way to make her suffer. She is hungry, active and even able to go to the bathroom. I will see what a vet says tomorrow.

But you don't know the first thing about it. Asking never hurt, which is why I AM asking in case it was a viable idea. Either way, a more professional response could potentially educate anyone interested enough to read this thread. I started a new thread asking the same question, so don't worry we won't bring it up here anymore.

I get it, you can't do it, that's totally cool, but if it was a viable option for putting a pet bird down, it'd be nice to know possibly for other people who may find themselves in a situation in the future.

I don't picture a heroin addict choking on their own vomit with a needle sticking out their ass, I picture peacefully going to sleep, and passing quietly and painlessly.

Let's see if we can get a response from someone who is in a position to know for sure.
The new thread is started, out of respect, any further responses on this sub thread, please take it there.
Thank you
Aaron

Back
Top Bottom