Chickens crop is literally rotting off

Pics

AngelicaRoss

Chirping
Jun 7, 2017
This sounds weird and I assure you I am not a troll.
My chicken's, who has had pendulous crop for 3.5 out of her 5 years of life, crop is rotting off.

She has been a mainly indoor bird for about 2.5 years. She often gets sour crop. I have to monitor how much she eats, give her monistat often and lots of probiotics.

About 2 weeks ago she became very sick. She refused to eat. Her crop was fuller than usual. She had sour crop and seemed like she also had an infection. I force fed her and gave her antibiotics for 10 days. She gradually got better. Her crop started functioning better and mostly emptying. She was super thin and has started putting on weight. She's moving around, making a lot of noise and back to herself. I did notice she smelled rotten and it wasn't her breath, it was her actual crop area. The skin just around her crop turned gray. She had some wounds around her crop. But, when her crop is very large her foot hits it when she walks and she sometimes scrapes her skin.

Today, she was outside rolling in the dirt. She came running up to me and I saw liquid coming from her crop. Looked, and her crop was open with food pouring out and.. she was eating it. Brought her inside in a panic and tried desperately to find some way to contain the thing while she kept trying to eat the food coming out. I put her crop bra on to hold everything in. I just changed the crop bra, trimmed some feathers up and looked at it. There is a perfect round circle of gray skin and her crop is literally falling off. Grasping at straws I thought maybe I could glue the hole but the skin is just dead around it. I put a clean crop bra on and she wants to me to let her outside. It hasn't even phased her! I don't know what to do. I know I should have her put to sleep but she doesn't seem to be in any pain. I don't want her to get sick again and suffer though.

Has anyone ever heard of this happening? From my extensive internet searches I'd say no. This is so awful because she has overcome so much.

Sorry, but I've never heard of this before, but I will watch to see if anyone else has something to say that might help you with the problem. Maybe @azygous , @Kiki might know something?
I don't think many people have chickens live this long with pendulous crop. It's so horrible but she's acting fine. I won't let her go downhill again though.

Possibly tomorrow but my vet doesn't know a whole lot about chickens. I don't think surgery is an option there and I don't think it's an option for her anyway. There doesn't seem to be any viable live skin on her crop.

It might be kinder if you have to put her down if she is suffering. With that food coming out of her crop she is starving herself. She won't be able to hold any water that she drink's neither.

It might be kinder if you have to put her down if she is suffering. With that food coming out of her crop she is starving herself. She won't be able to hold any water that she drink's neither.
I know and probably will tomorrow. As of right now she is acting her normal and active self and is able to poop so is processing some food. I have not fed her much hoping her crop would empty and I could get a better look. This just happened this morning.

I can visualize how a crop can become infected from an injury on the outside skin, then ulcerate and infect the crop sack. It's not a common occurrence. Just as a meteor falling on your house isn't a common occurrence, but both are possible.

When you are dealing with infected tissue and necrotic tissue, it is possible to treat, but it will be complex. A vet would be experienced enough with dealing with infected and necrotic tissue, they would be able to surgically remove the necrotic tissue, clean out the infection and prescribe an antibiotic to treat any lingering infection.

For anyone not familiar with chickens, dealing with the crop may be a bit tricky. Hopefully, your vet will inform themselves enough to be able to surgically repair the crop and close the incisions, either by suturing or gluing. It's something a vet is better equipped to do than you, but you could do it if you need to.

Back
Top Bottom