Chickens crop is literally rotting off

I have lost 3 chickens already this year. One was from old age. I have tried so hard to save all of them. I don't plan on getting more chickens. It's totally turned me off from eating chicken and eggs.
I feel for your situation, seems like you've had back luck :(. Don't know in what conditions you lost the other two, hope it wasn't some strange and extraordinary condition.
Wouldn't try to convince you otherwise, you seem like a nice sensitive person, I guess some people just have bad luck.

For our part since we've had chickens, we've had lots of losses (at least up until maybe two months ago), predators (which we have been sort of able to solve) and chicken accidents I would call it (like chickens stepping on and suffocating or injuring chicks, a first timer stepped on one of her chicks and broke it's chest and the yolk came out, didn't want to risk the others by trying to take the chick away and it was our first time so we left it with her and of course the next day it was dead). It's tough I guess, like life... Some people have it less traumatic than others.

I feel for your situation, seems like you've had back luck :(. Don't know in what conditions you lost the other two, hope it wasn't some strange and extraordinary condition.
Wouldn't try to convince you otherwise, you seem like a nice sensitive person, I guess some people just have bad luck.

For our part since we've had chickens, we've had lots of losses (at least up until maybe two months ago), predators (which we have been sort of able to solve) and chicken accidents I would call it (like chickens stepping on and suffocating or injuring chicks, a first timer stepped on one of her chicks and broke it's chest and the yolk came out, didn't want to risk the others by trying to take the chick away and it was our first time so we left it with her and of course the next day it was dead). It's tough I guess, like life... Some people have it less traumatic than others.
I am sorry about the chick. That's really hard.
I lost an 11 year old chicken I was given.
I lost a hen that had been laying lash eggs for a year and I lost a hen that badly prolapsed.
They just have so many reproductive issues. Doesn't feel to me like eggs are worth that.
Luckily Millie, the one with the crop issue, may have a chance.
Maybe I'll just keep roosters when I lose the rest of the hens.

I lost a hen that had been laying lash eggs for a year and I lost a hen that badly prolapsed.
They just have so many reproductive issues. Doesn't feel to me like eggs are worth that.
Maybe it's the breed...? I imagine that chickens that are certain breeds might be having the same problems most species of dogs have, their bloodlines are excessively close together so they start to have serious health problems.
I've had our chickens for two years and have never had any reproductive, serious health problems; mostly like I mentioned predators and kind of character trait problems.

Maybe it's the breed...? I imagine that chickens that are certain breeds might be having the same problems most species of dogs have, their bloodlines are excessively close together so they start to have serious health problems.
I've had our chickens for two years and have never had any reproductive, serious health problems; mostly like I mentioned predators and kind of character trait problems.
I think its partially the breed. Australorps are bred to lay a lot of eggs. And probably partially that Tractor Supply is not place to get healthy birds.

I think its partially the breed. Australorps are bred to lay a lot of eggs. And probably partially that Tractor Supply is not place to get healthy birds.
Then perhaps it's not yet time to give up on owning chickens, perhaps there's someone in this forum close to where you live that might be able to sell you healthy chickens or someone else you might be able to find online I'm sure there might be members that have good insight on pages that could sell healthy chickens.

I lost one a month ago to a bad prolapse as well. Showed no signs of pain, but she couldn't be helped. I had to end her suffering.:(

Then perhaps it's not yet time to give up on owning chickens, perhaps there's someone in this forum close to where you live that might be able to sell you healthy chickens or someone else you might be able to find online I'm sure there might be members that have good insight on pages that could sell healthy chickens.
I still have 16 chickens. By the time I have to go through losing them I'll be to traumatized to get more.

Back
Top Bottom