Chickens Diet

Mine are free-rangers, and (obviously) have full time access to soil. I'm just trying to prevent sourcrop. It sounds horrid, and one of my friends chickens got it and didn't make it. I'm also not finding a pellet feed that's not a layer. I have Roos and I can't give them the layer feeds, but this one I found has great reviews and is nice and cheap. Its Purina Layena Plus with the Omega-3 and fatty acids. What are your reviews on that, if you've ever used it? Or should I just separate the Roos during feeding? ugh, my brian hurts now.
barnie.gif

You can feed either a chick starter (nonmedicated), a grower, an all flock, or flock raiser. There should be something along those lines at the same place you found Layena. I use Purina Flock Raiser, myself, since it's what is available in my area. Whether or not a feed is pelleted is not important. What is important is that it is nutritionally balanced and complete.

Could I buy the feed bag at the store, and just mix it with other grains? Like 50% pellet allflock feeds with 25% scratch and 25% whole grains, ex. wheat, oats, corn etc? And crushed eggshells or oyster shells for calcium? That's what I've been thinking of doing. :) Aaaaaaaand, when should I give them grit? Should I give them a feeder of it like I do with eggshells? Thats what I've figured. Thanks! 

Yep, sure can. You'll probably need to up the protein a bit more and add some Alfalfa pellets or soy pellets to fill the nutritional requirements... But an easy formula would be : 50 lbs of all flock, 50 lbs scratch, 50 lbs alfalfa pellets, 10 lbs BOSS, and 5 lbs molasses ( i get dry molasses)...oh and 5# of oyster shell. If they free range, they don't need grit. If not, toss some in a seperate feeder and they'll help themselves :)

Heres a pic of mine, just for giggles...I would eat it lol ;)

Last edited:
hi all , i would say gamefowl feed it has it all no need to add anything around $13 to 18 a bag , this is the best feed to have healthy flock 4oz per bird a day to a 6lb to 8lb bird nothing more or less if you give treats cut back on feed expect tomotes it cuts the fat out of your fowl pretty fast. you can start this feed around 4 to 5 months old ................if i get a chance i will take a pic of my feed and post it here................thank`s mike.

We add pigeon food to our pellets. The birds love it so much though, you have to be careful they don't push their pellets aside to just eat the pigeon food. Read the label on pigeon food sometime. It's far better than buying six different kinds of grain. Doesn't have corn, but does have popcorn. You want to get the higher quality feed. Also, if you can find a feed store where pigeon breeders get their feed, go there to buy it.

One more thing. What feed store are you getting the gamefowl feed at. Mine used to carry it, but I don't think they do anymore. I know it's good feed.

hi , the main mill is in Bowling Green ,Kentucky ..................Kickin Chicken Premium Gamebird 16% hope this helps mike.......i live east tn.

We add pigeon food to our pellets. The birds love it so much though, you have to be careful they don't push their pellets aside to just eat the pigeon food. Read the label on pigeon food sometime. It's far better than buying six different kinds of grain. Doesn't have corn, but does have popcorn. You want to get the higher quality feed. Also, if you can find a feed store where pigeon breeders get their feed, go there to buy it.

That is a really pricey mix...almost $1/lb!

Not cost effective at all unless you only have 1 or 2 birds :( ...You can actually buy all those grains fresh and mix it yourself, and it would cost about $.34/lb ;)

I have 9 hens &2 roosters that I am feeding laying pellets and game bird mix and occasional watermelon scraps. I am thinking today Im going to get some laying mash, oat groats (to ferment), oyster shell and some of that laying powder supplement to give them. I want to give them greens too but am kinda afraid to. My thought was kale, spinach and some squashes a couple of times a week. I just want big ole heavy meaty birds who lay lots of eggs. Will all this stuff work and be good for the chickens?

Back
Top Bottom