Chickens don't need an extra heat source!

RobertaD1

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
Apr 30, 2020
South West Ohio
My Coop
My Coop
I have read over and over about people adding supplemental heat to their coops in the winter, wanting to make their babies cozy. I have also seen MANY responses on not adding supplemental heat.
But last night, as a snowstorm was literally BLOWING into the Ohio valley and as I was locking up the coop... I took a picture of the suffering in my coop.
As you can see.... this is 17 of my 20 birds. In my coop link, I show the inside of my coop. There are 2 sides. One is located on the same side as the big open front of my coop. The other roost is located on the opposite side of the coop, away from windows. 3 girls will roost away from the windows, the rest... right in front of those suckers! Last night, there was a slight breeze coming in those windows too! they STILL roosted there.
So please be reassured..... They are fine in the winter without heat! Now mind you... my lavender orps look like huge walking marshmallows... but they are the best to see how they fluff their feathers to retain the body heat!
Now.... if that temp. dips below 0 for several days, yes... I have options to take the edge off.... but that happens very rarely.
.... and my coop is really big... so trying to heat it anyway is futile!
I promise... They're fine! :thumbsup

Attachments

• 20201215_182740.jpg
    20201215_182740.jpg
    601.2 KB · Views: 26
  • 20201215_183239.jpg
    20201215_183239.jpg
    532.1 KB · Views: 22
I have read over and over about people adding supplemental heat to their coops in the winter, wanting to make their babies cozy. I have also seen MANY responses on not adding supplemental heat.
But last night, as a snowstorm was literally BLOWING into the Ohio valley and as I was locking up the coop... I took a picture of the suffering in my coop.
As you can see.... this is 17 of my 20 birds. In my coop link, I show the inside of my coop. There are 2 sides. One is located on the same side as the big open front of my coop. The other roost is located on the opposite side of the coop, away from windows. 3 girls will roost away from the windows, the rest... right in front of those suckers! Last night, there was a slight breeze coming in those windows too! they STILL roosted there.
So please be reassured..... They are fine in the winter without heat! Now mind you... my lavender orps look like huge walking marshmallows... but they are the best to see how they fluff their feathers to retain the body heat!
Now.... if that temp. dips below 0 for several days, yes... I have options to take the edge off.... but that happens very rarely.
.... and my coop is really big... so trying to heat it anyway is futile!
I promise... They're fine! :thumbsup

Yup we are also in Ohio, we only ever heat for babies or if its going to be REALLY cold we will put a heat source near the water to keep the water thawed but that's usually only if its below zero multiple days in a row with no sign of it letting up.

Nice coop you have there.

How do the chickens not take a dump on the lower chickens?

And you have big bertha sitting there by herself trying to give literal meaning to the phrase "when the s**t hits the fan...". Ha.

Nice coop you have there.

How do the chickens not take a dump on the lower chickens?

And you have big bertha sitting there by herself trying to give literal meaning to the phrase "when the s**t hits the fan...". Ha.
LOL... I know... she has ALWAYS roosted on that fan. The husband want to take it down for the winter, but we decided to just leave it as to not "disrupt" her evil ways. Now come spring... it's going to have to be cleaned.... so she will be displaced :)
The roost is situated so they don't baptize the ones a rung down.... just can't see it in the picture.

Last edited:
Yup we are also in Ohio, we only ever heat for babies or if its going to be REALLY cold we will put a heat source near the water to keep the water thawed but that's usually only if its below zero multiple days in a row with no sign of it letting up.
Just noticed you are in Dayton... Im about 30 min east of you in Xenia!

Back
Top Bottom