Chickens, ducks, and geese

Status
Not open for further replies.

FortCluck

Hatch-a-Long Queen
Sep 9, 2019
Central Virginia
Anyone have experience keeping chickens, ducks, and geese together?

Before anyone says drakes can harm hens... I know

I don't have any drakes, I have 5 ducks. I have 2 rooster (they're brothers and do not fight), 8 hens, 5 ducks, and we are planning on getting a gander with 3 females. We will have 8,000 sq ft that is fenced in for them to roam (right now it's 3,000 we are adding on in the next few weeks). There will be a big pond with a pump/fountain for the waterfowl and numerous feeding areas (we are in the process of building it). The ducks/geese will be in a separate coop unless they decide they want to sleep with the chickens.

What should we consider?

If they need to be separated we can do this, but our ducks constantly want to be with the chickens and I honestly want to give them that opportunity. Right now they're in a chain link kennel that's 8 feet high and 30x 40 feet because they're only 6 weeks old.

I have a trio of geese. They occasionally goose chickens, and mostly ignore my muscovy ducks. They have attached themselves to my goats mostly. They are big rowdy noisy birds I'm discovering, so be ready for that.

When raised where they can see the other species in my experiences they are fine, but I don't have a Gander, so I'm unsure if that changes anything.

I've got all 3, and still learning as I go.
A few things I've learned....
All the birds are fine while they are out for the day, but having them penned overnight is potential for disaster. Always make sure each species has an escape route from the others, like the wide open space free range allows.
Most of the need to separate has come as my drake gets older, and more hormonal. Doesn't sound like you will have that problem at least!
The geese ignore the chickens for the most part, and consider the ducks to be part of their flock. However, like with the chickens, the drake doesn't want anyone coming between him & his woman.
I haven't gone through the goose breeding season yet, but I imagine it's going to be the same sort of behavior, but with a gander rather than drake.

Everyone in my flock has their own night pen. Then, if for some reason I'm late letting them out, I don't come out to someone being beat up by a hormonal male.

How exciting!! We're all rooting for success!!

I have a trio of geese. They occasionally goose chickens, and mostly ignore my muscovy ducks. They have attached themselves to my goats mostly. They are big rowdy noisy birds I'm discovering, so be ready for that.

When raised where they can see the other species in my experiences they are fine, but I don't have a Gander, so I'm unsure if that changes anything.
My ducks are in full view of the chickens and they always want to go see the chickens all the time, but I was a bit nervous about one of my roosters because he's a big boy (black Jersey giant). I wanted the ducks to grow a little bit.

The reason why I want a gander is because I want to get fertilized eggs so that we can have dual purpose geese. We've always had this idea of having a Christmas goose for our family, but we weren't ready for it until now.

I've got all 3, and still learning as I go.
A few things I've learned....
All the birds are fine while they are out for the day, but having them penned overnight is potential for disaster. Always make sure each species has an escape route from the others, like the wide open space free range allows.
Most of the need to separate has come as my drake gets older, and more hormonal. Doesn't sound like you will have that problem at least!
The geese ignore the chickens for the most part, and consider the ducks to be part of their flock. However, like with the chickens, the drake doesn't want anyone coming between him & his woman.
I haven't gone through the goose breeding season yet, but I imagine it's going to be the same sort of behavior, but with a gander rather than drake.

Everyone in my flock has their own night pen. Then, if for some reason I'm late letting them out, I don't come out to someone being beat up by a hormonal male.

How exciting!! We're all rooting for success!!
I'm so glad that it has worked for you! I plan on separating the gander with his favorite goose during mating season if he becomes an issue.

I'm planning on getting Toulouse and Grey Saddleback geese. I couldn't decide between the two so I figured 1 Toulouse and 2 Grey Saddleback females then a Toulouse gander.

I did forget to mention my geese sleep in the goat side of the shed. I have read they need their own space at night. So follow @DiYMama540 advice as far as night housing.
I'll tell my husband we need another big coop, he will be so thrilled:gig

We will be moving in about a year to a place with more land then I'll be getting goats. I'm in love with them and they'll just be pets. Oh and weed eaters!

We are getting turkeys too that we are processing, But we are going to make them a tractor that rolls on wheels on the opposite side of the yard so they're not near anyone else.

I'll tell my husband we need another big coop, he will be so thrilled:gig

We will be moving in about a year to a place with more land then I'll be getting goats. I'm in love with them and they'll just be pets. Oh and weed eaters!

We are getting turkeys too that we are processing, But we are going to make them a tractor that rolls on wheels on the opposite side of the yard so they're not near anyone else.
I've seen something as simple as a corner pen where they can call it their own. So it doesn't have be elaborate. Just to confine them to one area so everyone else can have some nighttime peace.

Geese are more obnoxious than my turkeys, which I didn't think anything could be worse than turkeys for noise and noseyness. Than I got geese. There's always a party going on according to them. :D

I've seen something as simple as a corner pen where they can call it their own. So it doesn't have be elaborate. Just to confine them to one area so everyone else can have some nighttime peace.

Geese are more obnoxious than my turkeys, which I didn't think anything could be worse than turkeys for noise and noseyness. Than I got geese. There's always a party going on according to them. :D
I have a Barred Rock that is so noisy I'm sure getting something even noisier will make her even louder. Plus the dogs in the area barking make her and my roosters insanely loud.

When we move we plan on getting a barn, one of those steel ones that's insulated. I cannot wait for that day because they can make separate stalls for each species. I've done so much research with the companies in my area.

they're only 6 weeks old
Are all your birds 6 weeks old?

Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
upload_2019-10-3_7-47-39.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom