arthurt

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jan 28, 2014
Randburg South Africa
My Coop
My Coop
Hello there,

To the more knowledgeable chicken farmer I need some help, I have recently incorporated 80 chickens (hyline about 6 weeks old) into my flock of other free range chickens - older birds. Over the pass week or so they are slowly dying off; symptoms; - They seen to become immobile and stand in one place and eventually they are unable to stand, they go lame in a leg and then die off rather rapidly. Why? and what should I be doing? I am separating the infected birds but none of them have survived. about one bird every three days...

Hello there,

To the more knowledgeable chicken farmer I need some help, I have recently incorporated 80 chickens (hyline about 6 weeks old)  into my flock of other free range chickens - older birds. Over the pass week or so they are slowly dying off; symptoms; - They seen to become immobile and stand in one place and eventually they are unable to stand, they go lame in a leg and then die off rather rapidly. Why? and what should I be doing? I am separating the infected birds but none of them have survived.  about one bird every three days...  

Could be round worms as well.
Can you have a vet look at a fecal sample?

Have you looked at symptoms of coccidiosis. Suggesting b/c you have recently added new birds to your flock. Birds are only immune to the strains they have had prior exposure to. Some symptoms of cocci are: runny/watery poop(may or may not contain blood,depends on which strain it is)fluffed feathers,lethargic,not eating/drinking. Coccidiosis kills very fast,but is easily controlled using a coccidiostat such as Corid(amprolium).

Thanks... fluffed feathers are evident and have been with my birds that have die in the past, they eventually stand and do not eat or drink... can I give amprolium to all the birds or only the infected ones?

Thanks... fluffed feathers are evident and have been with my birds that have die in the past, they eventually stand and do not eat or drink... can I give amprolium to all the birds or only the infected ones?
Normally you would give ALL birds the amprolium.

Which age group is dying the new birds or the existing birds? If both age groups have had deaths,then it is a new strain to your yard,if new ones are dying it is a strain they have picked up from existing birds,if existing birds are dying then it is a strain picked up from new birds.

Hello there,

To the more knowledgeable chicken farmer I need some help, I have recently incorporated 80 chickens (hyline about 6 weeks old) into my flock of other free range chickens - older birds. Over the pass week or so they are slowly dying off; symptoms; - They seen to become immobile and stand in one place and eventually they are unable to stand, they go lame in a leg and then die off rather rapidly. Why? and what should I be doing? I am separating the infected birds but none of them have survived. about one bird every three days...

How recently did you add the new birds? Be as specific as possible.
I don't know if you have any resources for this in South Africa, but if you have any place that will do testing for a reasonable cost, you might want to consider sending one of your deceased birds for necropsy.

Back
Top Bottom