Chickens dying suddenly without cause

Maybe I’m just getting paranoid but just throwing this out there..

This is just a normal lesion right? I’ve been putting chicken wound disinfectant stuff on it for a week or so.
AB8029C1-435A-46F2-9E74-B36D539CE235.jpeg

We use poison here for rodents. I personally haven't seen any secondary poisoning that I'm aware of.

Corn, or rations in metal cans in the heat can mold. Aflatoxin comes to mind. Not saying that it, but I do notice in summer any feed in metal cans gets moldy quickly if you don't keep an eye on it.

Can this happen to feed that is also stored in rubber or plastic containers? What do you suggest to store door the summer months?

Can this happen to feed that is also stored in rubber or plastic containers? What do you suggest to store door the summer months?
I keep feed in the original bags inside plastic trash cans with lids. If I had a place to store the cans out of the sun I would, so I do the second best thing, which is store them where they are in shade in the afternoon when sun is hottest. I only buy what I use in two weeks or less.

The food is poured in amounts more than they can eat on ground that doesn’t drain well, and the water is in bowls that require refills. This happens as appropriate sized plastic dry food and waterer containers are ignored and is a result of my husband taking over chicken duty and not adhering to the standards I did. We have had a talk and regardless of if he puts more effort into it, I will make sure they no longer have wet food or periods without water and consistent mite treatment as needed.
If you know anything about what a softly gradated black to a comb means in terms of whether it eliminates or supports poisoning, mites, or disease please let me know
Maybe I’m just getting paranoid but just throwing this out there..

This is just a normal lesion right? I’ve been putting chicken wound disinfectant stuff on it for a week or so.
Now I’m worried about fowl pox. I know the dry pox are black but here’s another pic anyways
Looks like a normal lesion/peck wound to me. I have had this with roosters, they get a small cut or scrape, then as it scabs over they stand there and let the hens pick at it making it worse :hmm I would try Nu Stock or Pine Tar - either of those are supposed to taste bad and deter picking. If mine got bad enough, I separated my rooster out for a while until it healed.

It would be good if your vet could do a fecal float then - this will let you know if worms may be a problem. Since you are having trouble with wet ground then worms and/or Coccidiosis may be at play too.

Darkening of the back of the comb could be a number of things - from heat stress, dehydration, hormones to reduction of oxygen/organ dysfunction.

I'm sure it has been frustrating for you to rely on someone else to help out. Your own health is important, so just do the best you can.

To help keep water bowls cleaner, place them on a cinder block or something else raising them off the ground. I even have a few bowls on old lawnmower tires, they fit perfectly.
My bowls do get dirty and sometimes I have to actually clean them out a couple of times a day depending on how much straw gets kicked into them.

Straw is another useful idea that was suggested. It can get mucky so if you see that as a potential problem - get some bales and leave them intact. Place the bales inside your run so the birds can get on top of them - this allows feet to dry out and mine love to get on top of straw bales and scratch around. Eventually they do start to break the bales loose and then the straw just gets scattered around the run.

Just for reference, I'll show you my feed cups for the layer flock. I usually keep 4 with feed and 1 with oyster shell. Having more than one "station" keeps squabbling down.

1591414843575.png

Looks like a normal lesion/peck wound to me. I have had this with roosters, they get a small cut or scrape, then as it scabs over they stand there and let the hens pick at it making it worse :hmm I would try Nu Stock or Pine Tar - either of those are supposed to taste bad and deter picking. If mine got bad enough, I separated my rooster out for a while until it healed.

It would be good if your vet could do a fecal float then - this will let you know if worms may be a problem. Since you are having trouble with wet ground then worms and/or Coccidiosis may be at play too.

Darkening of the back of the comb could be a number of things - from heat stress, dehydration, hormones to reduction of oxygen/organ dysfunction.

I'm sure it has been frustrating for you to rely on someone else to help out. Your own health is important, so just do the best you can.

To help keep water bowls cleaner, place them on a cinder block or something else raising them off the ground. I even have a few bowls on old lawnmower tires, they fit perfectly.
My bowls do get dirty and sometimes I have to actually clean them out a couple of times a day depending on how much straw gets kicked into them.

Straw is another useful idea that was suggested. It can get mucky so if you see that as a potential problem - get some bales and leave them intact. Place the bales inside your run so the birds can get on top of them - this allows feet to dry out and mine love to get on top of straw bales and scratch around. Eventually they do start to break the bales loose and then the straw just gets scattered around the run.

Just for reference, I'll show you my feed cups for the layer flock. I usually keep 4 with feed and 1 with oyster shell. Having more than one "station" keeps squabbling down.

View attachment 2179259
Thanks and awesome setup.

The comb isn’t heat stress or dehydration in this case so we can eliminate that. I’m saying this confidently because I’d had these chickens a few summers and I’ve seen them hot and they’re not hot at all. And he has had fresh water provided by me for the past three days with comb turning this morning. It could be hormones but I’m worried about the other option given the deaths. It very well could be hormones I’ll try to remain optimistic. Lol

Thanks and awesome setup.

The comb isn’t heat stress or dehydration in this case so we can eliminate that. I’m saying this confidently because I’d had these chickens a few summers and I’ve seen them hot and they’re not hot at all. And he has had fresh water provided by me for the past three days with comb turning this morning. It could be hormones but I’m worried about the other option given the deaths. It very well could be hormones I’ll try to remain optimistic. Lol
Thanks!

Please do try to remain optimistic. Keep us posted on how they are doing.
If you can't get a fecal float and still think treating for worms and/or Coccidiosis would be beneficial, let us know. You can get medications at most feed stores.

Back
Top Bottom