Chickens dying

SilkiesRcool

Songster
Nov 1, 2016
Florida
My first chicken died about a month ago. Only symptoms was it just layed down for a day or so then dead. My next chicken was my rooster a week or two ago. He acted like he had a broken leg and flopped around. I got him x-rayed and he didn’t have a break. Now my poor paisley is having symptoms. She had her neck pulled in since two days ago and today I found her underneath the ramp. She is in a sitting position on her butt “not legs”. If you lean her forward she rolls over head over heels. She can slightly open her wings and that’s it. Vet was closed when I got home so I’m calling tomorrow. Thank you all for the help
1. Does anyone know what this is or how to stop it?
2. I have my show chicken flock about 15 feet away from these birds. Do I need to move them?

When I just lose one chicken, I chalk it up to "that's life". I have never had a chicken necropsied. BUT - given the types of losses you have had, you might want to send your current one in if she passes. I have read that you need to refrigerate the body - not freeze it. Do some research into where to send them. It wouldn't hurt to move your show flock, but being that close and if you don't change clothes and shoes between coops while doing chores, they may already be exposed.

Unfortunately it sounds like you may be having an outbreak of Marek's disease. The description of the rooster's symptoms are certainly similar to Marek's and the other one sitting down and being unable to balance. How old are these birds and how long have you had them? Have you added any new birds in the past 2-3 months? Your show flock may be the source of the virus if you have already been attending shows with them.
Sadly there is no recognised treatment for Marek's disease and it is very infectious.... it is spread via dander dust, so can be carried on clothes, hair, shoes and skin as well as on the wind.
I think you need to confirm what you are dealing with by getting a necropsy and then figure out your best course of action if it is Marek's. State Agricultural Diagnositc Labs are probably the cheapest and most knowledgeable option for this. It would be wise to make enquiries now, so that if another one dies or you decide to euthanize one, you have all the information about how to send it off and where to.

The flock is all older birds of just about 2 years. I haven’t added any new birds to the flock. My show flock so far has shown no signs only my egg laying flock has. Are the eggs safe to eat from this flock? I will look into getting a necropsy if Paisly does end up passing. Is there anything I can do for the rest of my flock? Can I vaccinate them the ones that might not be or is it to late?

The feed is fine as I use the same for my silkies. I know their inside water gets nasty daily could that be it? I change it every morning and afternoon

The feed is fine as I use the same for my silkies. I know their inside water gets nasty daily could that be it? I change it every morning and afternoon
I don't know if botulism is usually found in water - I wouldn't think that would be a problem if you're changing it twice a day. Did your vet have any suggestions as to where it may be coming from?

I was thinking mareks, but go with what your vet says first. Have you sanitized the feed and water dishes recently? That might be a place to start. Also find out if it stays in the soil and how long. You might need to move the egg flock to fresh ground

Back
Top Bottom