Chickens dying

Have you checked plants? I once lost 2 pullets weeks apart to a elderberry that popped up that I was unaware of, I also lost a duck to a poisonous nute she got a hold of :/
Didnt think of plants. They are in grass but more so snow at this point. I have bedding in the coup

With so many deaths so young I worry about Mareks because TSC does not vaccinate the birds or offer it by request on an order. Most reputable Hatcheries do for one day old chicks. Have to request. I do not buy unvaccinated birds.
really? they told me they were and that I didnt need to do it.. Our other birds came from murry mcmurry and they were for sure.

What is the coop like and what is your weather like?
Do you have good ventilation in your coop?

The wings are hanging loose and away from the body, could they be overheating with the heat lamp. We have had a high of 25 degrees/lows in the single digits for the last 2 weeks and my chickens are just fine. Chickens that are well feathered can handle cold temps better than overly high temps.
Okay so the coups are both from tractor supply. They have the indoor section where the heat lamp is at. they have room to move away from it or they can go to the main part of the coup. Weather is currently about 23 and gets to the teens overnight. I was told not to ween them from heat lamp over winter. I keep the side windows over and the front door for ventilation. I attached a picture. We left them roam in the kennel part during the day. They all go into the heated coup part at about 630

Attachments

• 20181204_105013.jpg
    20181204_105013.jpg
    938.6 KB · Views: 21
Here is link about Mareks Disease
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq.66077/

Another possibility so young is coccidiosis especially if they were not on medicated feed first 8 weeks of life and are now outside. Corid is the treatment and usually owners see bloody stool.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/coccidiosis-how-to-treat-it.64386/
I have not noticed any odd or bloody stool. They all really do look healthy or at least I thought they did. We didnt out them outside until about 3 weeks ago.

They do not have to have bloody poops to have coccidiosis. The puffed up or hunched appearance of your dying chicken does look like possible coccidiosis, so I would take Dawg23’s advice to buy Corid (amprollium) and start treatment for coccidiosis. Give 2 tsp of the liquid Corid per gallon of water for 5-7 days. If using the powder, use 1 1/2 tsp per gallon.

I just came out to ch eck on them now and it literally looks like 2 more are dying. I cant find a farm vet...
20181211_185942.jpg

Back
Top Bottom