Chickens dying

Miriamboldman

Hatching
Mar 28, 2023
This is my 3rd chicken that is dyed. The 1st one I wasn't too concerned, thought maybe she just died From age. But then after the next 2 died, both having ascites, I did a necropsy on both. The first one had an enormous amount of yellow water come out. And she had spots on her liver and other organs. The second had a clean liver but tons of bumps on her internal parts. I'm not sure if these are normal or not. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 20230328_163717.jpg
    20230328_163717.jpg
    386.1 KB · Views: 25
  • 20230328_163647.jpg
    20230328_163647.jpg
    477.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 20230328_163431.jpg
    20230328_163431.jpg
    288.5 KB · Views: 3
I just switched them back to a 16% protein kibble. They had been on an 18% feather fixer feed, as most of the flock were almost bald, even after molting. They free range daily, and are spoiled with damaged vegetables from our produce department from our local store. Some cracked corn, about a scoop for the flock of 15 hens. And then a scoop of dried bsf larvae daily. I am wondering if it's too much protein? All the others seem healthy.

Also I am trying to find images of healthy chickens guts so I can compare them to what I am looking at because although I have had chickens for years, I have never opened them up after they died.

And then a scoop of dried bsf larvae daily.
How big of a scoop for the 15 hens?

I am wondering if it's too much protein?
Probably not. If anything, they might do better with more protein than they are getting. The feather fixer you were using while they molted should also be fine while they are laying.

People studying excess protein have to get it up past 30% before they start finding any problems.

Your main food is 16% protein.
Based on the numbers I can find online, same-size scoops of corn and bsf larvae add up to about 16% protein also. (That's because of corn being both low in protein and heavy for its size. So the same scoop size has more ounces or pounds of corn than of the high protein bsf larvae.)

Also I am trying to find images of healthy chickens guts so I can compare them to what I am looking at because although I have had chickens for years, I have never opened them up after they died.
Have you tried the "meat birds" forum? It probably has some photos of chickens being butchered.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...very-long-term.1433421/page-116#post-25957994
This is a post of healthy chicken organs, partway through a very long thread. I think the link will go directly to the correct post. I don't remember whether are any other such pictures in the thread or not.

I would say that the black fly larvae scoop is about a cup and a half for 15 hens. Same with the cracked corn.
I don't think that much black soldier fly larvae for 15 hens could give enough extra protein to hurt them, even without considering the low-protein corn they are getting as well.

This is my 3rd chicken that is dyed. The 1st one I wasn't too concerned, thought maybe she just died From age. But then after the next 2 died, both having ascites, I did a necropsy on both. The first one had an enormous amount of yellow water come out. And she had spots on her liver and other organs. The second had a clean liver but tons of bumps on her internal parts. I'm not sure if these are normal or not. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
By the looks of it, I think you are either dealing with ALV just as @Perris already suggested, or Mareks virus. To determine which exactly as the symptoms can appear very similar, you could send the body in to your state vet lab for necropsy.

And very important: Keep a closed flock in order to not spread the disease.

I am sorry for your losses.

Last edited:
I'd say you are probably dealing with Marek's, not leucosis. Livers in leucosis victims are enlarged to begin with, and almost never clean. If you've ever had any lameness in your flock, this would then point to Marek's.

But with that amount of tumors, it'd be safe to say you are dealing with one of the two avian viruses.

Back
Top Bottom