Chickens dying

forbero

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 25, 2009
Hi,
I have had 3 chickens die in the last month and a half. They were all between 10 and 14 weeks old, and had not been vaccinated.
The strange thing is, there were hardly any symptoms. The first was just found dead one morning, no previous symptoms. The second had an infected eye which we treated with salt water flushes and neosporin, and it died a few days later- this one was lethargic and slept all day for the last few days. The last was lethargic one morning, ate some that day, and then died that afternoon.
Any ideas? another maybe important thing is that all these chickens seems a bit small for their size, compared to other chickens their age.
We could get this last bird necropsied for $66, and i am tempted because i want to know what's wrong!
Thanks.

I would get the necropsy so you can treat the flock. Any sign of blood in the droppings?

The $66 could save your flock.
cool.png

I'm in the city so my flock is 4- and it looks like 2 might be roosters i have to get rid of anyways... I may still do the necropsy though. No blood in the stools.

A necropsy is definitely worth it. We had to do that, but it saved our flock. That was a few years ago. You do have to give them one that has died within the past 24 hours. Any respiratory symptoms at all?

Quote:
Well, really doing a salt water flush isn't a great idea. Doing a saline eye solution flush is what you want to do - using the stuff you buy at the store. It's not salt water - it's the same salinity as the eyeball's interior. Likely that was the symptom. What did the eye look like when infected?

Also we really do need more information. Giving you any answers without the information would literally be guessing, and that's neither fair to you nor your birds. Can you please answer the questions on the second sticky post but into this thread, please? By 'weight' they mean mostly the feel of the weight, and approximate pounds (like 1 pound, 2, 5, 10 - doesn't have to be exact). Also are they fre range? Any access to compost, wet/soured feed, vegetables/fruits/berries fallen onto the ground, etc? What exactly is their diet - please be as descriptive as possible. were they in with adults, or near adults? How long have you had them, where do they live, what's your bedding in the run and coop, etc. All the information you can think of, please provide. If you do a necropsy (highly recommended - call your state ag college and their extensions to get information on how to go about that now so you'll be prepared ahead of time) they'll ask you a total flock history anyway.

Hopefully we can catch something before you lose more.

I did say they were 10-14 weeks old.
1 Sussex standard, 1 salmon fav. bantam, 1 unknown bantam
Like I said, no symptoms at all besides the eye, which just had a small amt of pus coming out of it. The salt water wash i made was just a homemade saline solution like this: http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-needed-for-a-homemade-eyewash.htm
Bedding
was pine.
They did have scraps of greens and cucumbers available in addition to the grower feed that was 18% protein.
hope this helps.

Quote:
Well the feed information tells me that they're eating a moderately low protein grower but not terribly so. (I like 20%) but still need more information like if they're in a coop, free range, any other birds, any new birds introduced. Etc. Like the second sticky post.

There is a point to it really. I promise.

Back
Top Bottom