Chickens eating butchering scraps

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by traildad, Jan 12, 2013.

1. traildad

traildad Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2011
    Some rabbits were slaughtered and one rabbits foot was lost under all the leaves on the ground. Later the chickens were foraging and found the foot and seemed to want to eat it. We took it from them, but it got me to wondering. What is the convential wisdom on chickens eating fresh kill?

2. RWise

RWise Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 25, 2012
    Oakhurst Oklahoma
    They would in the wild, I watched one of my RIR hens take bones from my 40 lb dog, yes she eats the bones, and he is a good dog and lets her pic up small pieces! I tossed out a goose carcass, the hens went nuts over it pulling off as much meat/fat as they could, after they were done with it the dogs got their turn.

3. traildad

traildad Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2011
    Was it a raw carcass?

4. fancyfowl4ever

fancyfowl4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Cranbrook, BC, Canada
    they love raw carcasses. If I debone any fowl the chickens get the raw carcass, also bones and fat from any beef/lamb/game etc gets thrown to them. They love it.
    Remember they are by nature omnivours, so they love their animal protein and by nature hunt it themself, wether its a mouse, lizard, snake or song bird that didnt get out of the way fast enough, an injured or dead flock mate is fair game too.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Sounds like a good protein boost.

You'll have folks on here freaking out about them eating raw meat, swearing it has to be cooked. My thought is, this was meat you raised yourself, correct? Then you know it's good meat. Crows eating roadkill on the side of the road don't cook the stuff first!

6. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Agree with the posts above. Chickens eat mice and other small animals all the time. I would let them have at it.

7. coffeenutdesign

coffeenutdesign Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2012
    Texas
    I work for a caterer and he throw away a LOT of trimmings. Sometimes I bring home a lot of fat off the brisket for the dog, but I could bring home some of the smaller meatier trimmings as well. Would certainly save on food costs and be a nontaxable benefit from my job, lol.

8. RoostersCrow HensDeliver!

RoostersCrow HensDeliver! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    SE Michigan
    Chickens LOVE raw meat, especially if it runs away! My hens are excellent mousers, better than all but my one cat ;)

9. aggiemae

aggiemae Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Salem Oregon
    It's pure protein so I'd do it if I has a free source. I am not sure about the high sodium stuff but our chickens do love the occasional (though not raw) hotdog!

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  10. Gemstatemom

Gemstatemom New Egg

Apr 29, 2013
    New member here. We are an avid hunting family and whenever we process any elk or deer harvested in the fall hunt, all the meat scraps, trimmings and any blood shot meat is ground up and frozen in ziploc sandwich bags to feed my chooks in the winter. The entire flock comes a running and some of my hens leap up trying to reach the bag as I walk to their pen - to say they LOVE it is an understatement.

Consider them an unusually plump and red worm! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by