Chickens eating eggs

Carla Maxwell

Chirping
May 8, 2020
Daylesford, Victoria, Australia
Ugh. Just happened to me today and yesterday. So I’m anxious to see all the recommendations.

Me, too! Today I walked in on one of my chickens eating an egg. It hasn't happened before. I really hope it was an accidental crack and just a tasting, but the chicken was really enjoying it and another one joined in the eating before I could get to the nest. I distracted them with meal worms and removed the egg-soaked hay right away and replaced it with fresh hay. I really hope that was enough to discourage it happening again....but I'm worried.

MoralMinority

In the Brooder
Apr 11, 2018
Me, too! Today I walked in on one of my chickens eating an egg. It hasn't happened before. I really hope it was an accidental crack and just a tasting, but the chicken was really enjoying it and another one joined in the eating before I could get to the nest. I distracted them with meal worms and removed the egg-soaked hay right away and replaced it with fresh hay. I really hope that was enough to discourage it happening again....but I'm worried.
This is pretty hard to stop. I’ve been very frustrated by it. All of mine have a taste for eggs and it is a battle. I tried fake eggs. Blowing out and filling the shell with mustard...they really liked that! Day at the ball park I guess. Built my own rollaway, which worked until they decided to start laying on the floor. https://resoluteness.com/roll-away-egg-nesting-boxes/

Top Bottom