Chickens eating own eggs! Help!

Rosalind

Songster
12 Years
Mar 25, 2007
I went to collect eggs today, and found only two. Normally there are 6-8. Then looked closer, and they were all eating a couple that had been laid on the floor. EW EW EW!

How do I get them to stop eating their own eggs? I only have time to collect eggs twice a day, morning and night. They are fast little buggers, too. They are well-fed (they had a full feeder of layer pellets), they get tons of treats, greens, leftovers.

The crows have been getting in my coop and breaking the eggs and eating them. My chickens rarely do that but if the egg is busted they will eat it.

My friend had one of her chickens eating eggs and she put a golf ball in the nest and that seemed to help.

Sorry, this is my nightmare, I have also read that having dark nesting boxes helps. Maybe some extra protein I have also read that. Also maybe help fry them some hambuger. Hope they stop soon.

HI! I am new to this forum and this is my first post, but I had the same problem. We started mixing crushed oyster shells with the feed as a calcium supplement and so far no more problems.

Hi Rosalind,

I'm sure that there are those with lots more experience in this sort of thing. It isn't uncommon and amongst my birds there has been problems like this with every group of young hens.

I think that the nest itself can be a "sacred" place for the hen. An egg that shows up on the floor is not a part of the nest and the chickens often see it as food.

I try to make the nestbox as comfortable as possible. The hen should feel really secure inside. A good amount of soft, clean nesting material is a good idea. And, following these other suggestions should cover most of the bases that I'm aware of.

Steve

Thanks you guys! I think the problem may be my broody hen has claimed the Best Nest Box (they think it's the best, anyway) for herself and rarely hops out of it. So they are laying some on the floor. They have other nest boxes with tons of straw, which they have used successfully in the past, but the one that Broody Liz has claimed is their favorite.

Yesterday I caught one of the semi-broody EEs defending a stash of eggs she had laid in a dark corner by the feed bins. So there may be hope...

Back
Top Bottom