1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chickens eating scraps??

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Vikkisrooster, Aug 8, 2007.

1. Vikkisrooster

Vikkisrooster Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2007
    This is my first post and also the first time I have raised chickens as an adult. My neighbor & I are having a debate as to whether or not you can feed chickens fruit & veggy scraps? Is there any that could harm them? Or is some better? I would greatly appreciate any feedback!
    Thanks,Vikki:cool:

2. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    I feed mine everything I eat. All my table scraps go to the chickens. I haven't found anything yet they don't like. They are little eating machines. Last week mine had biscuits & gravy, beef stew, grits, strawberries, half loaf of bread & a bananna. So I would say let them eat!

3. cookinmom

cookinmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    Saint George GA
    I feed mine fruit & veggie scraps, just not onions & garlic in case that might make their eggs taste weird. I've also read here not to give them potato peels or avocado as they are toxic to chickens.

Hope you won the discussion!

Welcome to the forum!

4. rrrsmom

rrrsmom Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2007
    salt lake city, Ut
    I've also read here not to give them potato peels or avocado as they are toxic to chickens.

Avacados are very bad.
    But so far everything else seems to be fine. Mine ate macaroni and cheese today and love it.​

5. Vikkisrooster

Vikkisrooster Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2007
    Thanks so much! I know years ago we fed them everything left over. I just got them yesterday,and today I found 1 egg!
    Yeah! No more store bought eggs for us!

6. Bubba

Bubba Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2007
    Is it the whole avocado or just the skin thats bad for them? Green potatoes will kill just about anything. Didnt know the skins were bad for them, they love french fries haha

I feed them everything I eat except for candy. I mean everything if its to big or tough I toss it in the blender then feed it to them.

Bubba

7. JudyMcKinn

JudyMcKinn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2007
    SW MO
    On the bread, the only time I have bread to throw away, it is because it has gone mouldy on me, and I have been afraid to feed them anything that has mold on it. That wouldn't be good for them, would it?

8. greenacre

greenacre Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2007
    South Eastern Michigan
    Everything I have read states to not feed chickens old or moldy food...if you wouldn't feed to yourself (or kids or DH), don't feed it to the chickens.

9. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    no rhubarb, potato, or avocado.

mine eat lots of veggies and fruit and LOVE it. the yolks are nice and orange!

10. firetrie

firetrie Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2007
    Niles, MI
    Mine got into my garden and demolished the pile of potatoes that I thrown aside. There weren't any green ones, just ones that were cut or holey.... I planned on plowing them into the soil this fall. Should I be worried? Its been a week since they ate them and they still lay eggs and are still very active...

Mine love table scraps. They won't eat the lettuce tho...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by