Chickens eating styrofoam insulation

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Pickled Egg, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Pickled Egg

Pickled Egg Out Of The Brooder

Dec 16, 2008
    Perth, Ontario
    Our 3 hens and 1 rooster have been eating the exposed Styrofoam type insulation in their coop (which I've since covered up). They have also been pecking at and probably eating some old and yellowed spray-foam type insulation outside the barn when they are free roaming.

They all seem to be fine, but I worry that this is not something they will pass or that will become toxic in their system.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated : )

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Several people have posted that their chickens have eaten styrofoam or insulation with no ill effects.

Imp- probably not a good idea tho. [​IMG]

3. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Chickens eat a lot of strange things. I once chased mine all over the yard because they had styrofoam packing peanuts in their their beaks. No, I didn't catch them, and, yes, they ate them. Nobody got sick. Just keep an eye on them.

4. PatS

PatS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Northern Califonia
    I had sheets of foam insulation exposed under the roof of my coop when my chicks were still very small. (Maybe five weeks old.) A couple of panels fell down one night and by the time I had discovered it, quite a bit had been eaten. I worried, but they have suffered no ill effects. (Thank goodness!)

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    This too will pass. As will glass and metal. I have a hen that thinks she's a magpie. [​IMG]

6. SF Farmgirl

SF Farmgirl Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2009
    San Francisco
    My little chicks did that when they were first figuring out what's supposed to be eaten. I'm pretty sure that styrofoam is an inert ingredient, and won't create any toxins. Mine would act like it was a great prize and would run around with it. If I caught them, I would snatch it out of their beaks. Like other readers, I saw no ill effects.

7. Quadog

Quadog Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2009
    Maybe it will help keep them warm inside!! [​IMG]

8. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Quote:[​IMG]

9. Pickled Egg

Pickled Egg Out Of The Brooder

Dec 16, 2008
    Perth, Ontario
    Well, it's a relief to know that a) my chickens' bizarre snack choice is normal and b) that their bizarre snack choice will not make them ill.

Lol.. and if it keeps them warm from the inside than that means less for me to worry about too : )

10. Uppity Peon

Uppity Peon Chillin' With My Peeps

My chickens have been attacking the styrofoam vent blocks in the foundation wall of my house. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by