Chickens eh?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Flumes, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Flumes

Flumes Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2012
    So this is how it starts....

We acquired about 43 acres of ugly overgrown farmland thats basically old tag alder and conifers in hopes that someday we would build our dream home there. Its on the outskirts of the city and is registered appropriately to allow us to have a farm one day if we elect to. But more inviting was the deer and rabbit tracks that I found, and thus purchased the property with hopes of hunting on it someday.

But the family had something different in mind....

Sitting at the dinner table, my youngest, out of the blue blurts out "Chickens!" "Can we have chickens dad??" And my oldest then chimed in without hesitation...."Yeah...I wanna name one Peepers...." and before I even choked on the food, I had three sets of eyes looking at me inquisitively....my wife included.

"Chickens eh?" was the only audible sound that I could make.

So to make a long story short, I agreed that I would look into the matter and see if it would be feasible.
    We live in Northern Ontario Canada where summers might hit mid 80s (30Cish) and winters drop down to -40F (C) occasionally so this was one of my concerns....as was looking after them because I know the kids interest would not be supportive once they realized it was work....not to mention the smell!.

So here I am....and hopefully I will lurk long enough before I jump into this with both feet while my family pushes from behind lol.

Anthony

1 person likes this.
  2. Silkie Chick

Silkie Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Since you are looking for breeds with specific qualities (namely to last in the cold) then I would play around with this Breed selector tool( http://www.mypetchicken.com/chicken-breeds/which-breed-is-right-for-me.aspx ) and see if you can find a chicken breed that can stand those cold temperatures.
    As to your concern about them stinking, so long as you clean out their coop frequently they don't hardly smell. Good luck on the start of your chicken adventure!

3. Flumes

Jan 21, 2012
    Thanks Silkie....off to a flying start :)

4. S&N Livestock

S&N Livestock Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    southern ohio
    [​IMG] from Ohio

5. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

We're cold, very, very cold, but it you are north of Sudbury or Timmins or similar, you are even colder.

I'd strongly recommend only the hardiest of breeds. Rose combed Buckeyes, Rose combed Wyandottes, or Chantecler. I'd not look too very far afield from those breeds. Even a Barred Rock or Rhode Island Red, with large combs and wattles, wouldn't be my choice for that far north.

Welcome to BYC

6. greatchicken

greatchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    Michigan
    :welcome there is tons of info on this site. Just look around and ask all the questions you need to.

Glad you joined us.

7. Flumes

Jan 21, 2012
    We're in the Soo Fred....thanks for the welcome and reply. Sounds like your area is pretty close by the description.

8. Flumes

Jan 21, 2012
    I am dumbfounded by how many facets this forum alone has with regards to chickens lol.

Here I thought it would be an afternoon perusal lol Looks like I'll be here for a while!!!!

I must say it is overwhelming right now.

Thanks for the welcome

9. CountryRoosterUSA

CountryRoosterUSA Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

10. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by