Chickens eye foamy and looks inflamed?

chickenslover86

Hatching
6 Years
Aug 5, 2013
It started when she was a chick. She had a foamy, frothy, bubbly eye occasionally so I would flush it with saline and put some erythromycin on it. This usually helped. She was never sneezing, coughing, weezing, any of that so I didn't think it was Upper Respiratory disease. She is now 5 months old and the bubbly eye is back full force. Still no sneezing or anything. I'm afraid she might lose her eye in the next couple weeks. Over 5 months, none of the other chickens have shown similar symptoms so I don't think it's something contagious.

Also, she twitches her head a lot..like every few seconds. Maybe to fling the foam out of her eye.. She doesn't itch it too much.

I've heard eye worm. I gave her a dewormer pill from the guy at the feed store a few days ago. Her eye is only getting worse.

What could this be??

Any help would be appreciated. I am not going to kill her, thank you.

Get some Tylan 50 and give her 1/2 ml shot into the breast muscle for 3 days. If you can't do that get some Terramycin (erythromycin ) or oxytetracycline powder and put it in the water for 7 days. Did she have the eye problem from day1 as a chick?

Yeah it was pretty much from day 1. What do you think it is? Can I get the Tylan from the vet without making an appointment?

Tylan 50, erythromycin, and oxytetracycline are usually available at many feed stores. Tylan powder for the water is also available. Were there any older chickens around where she could have picked up a respiratory disease?Mycoplasma and E.coli can be transmitted from the mother through hatching eggs, but it would be hard to know exactly what she has without testing.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom