Chickens eye has foam in it and she has been exposed to fowl pox. :(

Kennas_Kritters

Songster
Dec 30, 2019
Polk City, FL
My Coop
My Coop
My welsummer girl along with her 2 sisters were in a large coop with my Turkey poults and duckling. My turkeys ended up getting fowl pox (or something similar) they got black/pink raised bumps on their head and legs. My duck and chickens that were in the pen with them were not showing any symptoms at all so I removed them to quarantine away from the turkeys. I started quarantining the chickens away from the turkeys about a week ago. They have been fine up until now. Now 1 of the welsummers has a white foam in the corner of her eye and right in front of the eye it is slightly swollen. She has no spots that look like pox but I'm assuming this is what she has.... can pox cause eye foam? What can I do for the girl? :( Will her eggs even be safe to eat when she starts laying? I was gonna use her for creating my own olive Eggers. I guess I can't hatch her eggs now or what? So upset. :( I feel stupid for letting this happen! What do I do? Other than the puffy foamy eyes she is acting normal. 2 of my Turkey poults did pass away from this so I'm panicking. I guess that means it was wet pox?

I would calm down a bit. If you read about fowl pox, it is a virus carried by mosquitoes. Fowl pox creates welcome conditions for mycoplasma gallisepticum to become a secondary infection. Foam in eyes can be a symptom, but you would need to get a pcr test to confirm it. MG is common in backyards flocks. Wild birds also carry it. It can lie dormant in chickens and suddenly show up when there is another stressful situation.

I would just flush the eye with saline or some Bausch and Lob eye wash, and apply either Terramycin eye ointment or plain Neosporin to the eye twice a day. If you continue to see mire symptoms, consider treating with Tylosin or another antibiotic to treat MG.

I would calm down a bit. If you read about fowl pox, it is a virus carried by mosquitoes. Fowl pox creates welcome conditions for mycoplasma gallisepticum to become a secondary infection. Foam in eyes can be a symptom, but you would need to get a pcr test to confirm it. MG is common in backyards flocks. Wild birds also carry it. It can lie dormant in chickens and suddenly show up when there is another stressful situation.

I would just flush the eye with saline or some Bausch and Lob eye wash, and apply either Terramycin eye ointment or plain Neosporin to the eye twice a day. If you continue to see mire symptoms, consider treating with Tylosin or another antibiotic to treat MG.

Ok I'll wash her eyes out today. If she does have fowl pox or MG could her eggs be hatched or would the babies hatch with the same issue? Will the eggs be safe to eat?

MG is transmittable if the eggs survive incubation, through the hatching egg. I would suggest getting testing. It takes out the quesswork. Contact your local vet, your state vet, to find a pcr test, and there are labs, such as zoologix where you can obtain the swabs from the chicken and send them back for pcr testing:
http://www.zoologix.com/avian/Datasheets/PoultryRespiratoryPanel.htm

Back
Top Bottom