Chickens faces have turned black

They definitely do. My chickens look quite the same each year after feasting on the cherries.
Hi LaFleche, that's wonderful to hear. They don't seem ill so I'll keep an eye on them. But it puts me at ease to know it's probably the cherries they've been gorging on. Thank you!

Sorry if I'm posing in the wrong forum, I've tried looking everywhere but can't find an exact answer.

My chickens have started developing a black face and wattles. It started on the face rather than the wattles but has gradually spread outwards. At first we thought it was just oil as if they had walked under one of the old tractors but it doesn't seem to come off.

I've read about it being kidney problems but they're not remotely lathargic. It's not affected their behaviour or appetite from what we can see. No scabbing or bleeding either.

We have some bluebells (which I read is normal to have some blackening of the wattle) but also warrens, light Sussex, and black rocks which have all been affected.

I know one or two have been laying soft shelled eggs occasionally and some of the eggs have been pecked. We thought this was magpies at first because we've noticed them hovering around but now I'm wondering if its the chickens themselves.

I've attached some pictures (which are unfortunately not the clearest). Does anyone know what this could be? Thank you for any help or advice you can give.
Have you tried washing this off yet? ;)

Back
Top Bottom