Chickens feet have sores

Scoutson

In the Brooder
Dec 22, 2020
We have a 6 month old rooster who rarely walks and lays down majority of the time. I saw his feet were swollen so I cleaned them to see large sore like areas on the bottoms of his feet. I don’t know if this is bumblefoot or something else. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 836B6B12-1A13-409C-ACE4-32361939CB79.jpeg
    836B6B12-1A13-409C-ACE4-32361939CB79.jpeg
    347.1 KB · Views: 12
  • A5F94FCC-3175-49D1-909D-025BC9C0A149.jpeg
    A5F94FCC-3175-49D1-909D-025BC9C0A149.jpeg
    314.2 KB · Views: 10
That appears to be footpad dermatitis, which is caused by walking around in mud, wet spots, and soiled bedding. Bumblefoot is a localised version. It can be also caused by diets high in corn and soy. What are you feeding? Do you have problems with drainage or mud? I would soak his feet in warm Epsom salts or soapy wtare and dry them well. Spending some time on a dry towel in a dog crate with food ans water might give them a chance to heal. B complex vitamins 1/4 to 1/2 tablet daily crushed into his feed might also help. Here is some reading about the condition:
https://www.farmhealthonline.com/US/disease-management/poultry-diseases/footpad-dermatitis/

That appears to be footpad dermatitis, which is caused by walking around in mud, wet spots, and soiled bedding. Bumblefoot is a localised version. It can be also caused by diets high in corn and soy. What are you feeding? Do you have problems with drainage or mud? I would soak his feet in warm Epsom salts or soapy wtare and dry them well. Spending some time on a dry towel in a dog crate with food ans water might give them a chance to heal. B complex vitamins 1/4 to 1/2 tablet daily crushed into his feed might also help. Here is some reading about the condition:
https://www.farmhealthonline.com/US/disease-management/poultry-diseases/footpad-dermatitis/
I’m not sure what feed they get because my dad feeds them. It has been very muddy here for a while. But I cannot thank you enough for your help, his feet are already starting to look better and he’s a lot more energetic now. Once again thank you.

Back
Top Bottom