Bumblefoot? Update: Is This Lash Egg?

Jan 9, 2019
Missouri, U.S.
Hey! I have a 5-year-old Wyandotte who has started to limp and does not want to walk much. Her feet/toes have always been a little knobbly but they seem worse and the pads of her feet and joints seem swollen. Not sure if it is bumblefoot or something else. Her comb has gotten pale and she does not seem to have much of an appetite. I've been soaking her feet in Epsom salt and warm water. I put apple cider vinegar in the waterers. Any ideas? I have some pictures of the top and bottom of her feet.

UPDATE: See the photo further down of weird poop. Is it a lash egg?

Attachments

• IMG_0893.jpg
    IMG_0893.jpg
    482 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_0895.jpg
    IMG_0895.jpg
    443.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0896.jpg
    IMG_0896.jpg
    453.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0897.jpg
    IMG_0897.jpg
    477.7 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0898.jpg
    IMG_0898.jpg
    460.3 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Does look like bumble foot to me; see the swelling & scabs ...
I just got done treating one of my hens, she stopped walking and basically sat (Jun 6). Checking I found a lump on the top of her foot, nothing under her foot. Vet recommend soaking which I did (wasn't in favor of cutting), applied Prid & wrapped. There was no scab or opening until two days after I started treatment. I squeezed and some white pus squirted out, happened 2 days but then stopped. I kept with the soak & wrap until yesterday, she's been walking and fine for few days already & removed her wrap. Lump still on top but underpad isn't hard/swollen.

First two pics is the start, the underpad more swollen & hard. The last two is current, the underpad is soft & flat although the lump remains on top, it's not as pink and swelling going down, softer.

Attachments

• 0619 Marron BF 2.jpg
    0619 Marron BF 2.jpg
    380.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 0619 Marron BF 1.jpg
    0619 Marron BF 1.jpg
    468.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 0605 Marron BF 5.jpg
    0605 Marron BF 5.jpg
    666.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 0605 Marron BF 3.jpg
    0605 Marron BF 3.jpg
    352.8 KB · Views: 9
Update: She just pooped this. Very gelatinous and pink.

Attachments

• 8558E8CC-4C26-427A-8FBD-2445146F1F8B.jpeg
    8558E8CC-4C26-427A-8FBD-2445146F1F8B.jpeg
    564.9 KB · Views: 7
  • BFA5D874-7B01-40F3-B0E0-1683D86C2096.jpeg
    BFA5D874-7B01-40F3-B0E0-1683D86C2096.jpeg
    746.5 KB · Views: 7
It doesn't really look like lash material, but more like a large amount of tissue, perhaps from the oviduct. Do you know when she last laid normally? Feel her abdomen, below the vent, between the legs for any bloat. I would keep an eye on her, see if she lays, see if it recurs. It could be a one time thing, or could be the start of a reproductive problem. If it happens again, cut it apart and see what the inside looks like.

I don't know when she laid last. She doesn't lay regularly anymore. She had a couple small pieces a few weeks ago that were white. I put apple cider vinegar in the water and thought that helped. I didn't see any more until yesterday. None so far today. I'll go feel her

Bloated is usually a sign of a reproductive problem. It could be a cancer, or an infection like salpingitis. If it feels water balloon like then it's likely ascites or water belly. That often accompanies reproductive problems and is from the liver leaking fluid into the abdomen, that can be from cancers, infections and organ failure. Some people choose to drain it, to make the bird more comfortable for a while (there are youtube videos that show how to do it). It does carry some amount of risk, but many do it successfully. It will generally recur as the underlying condition is still there. If it feels very firm then it could be infectious material building up, that will not drain. Most of the possible issues do not really respond well to treatment or there are no real treatment options. It's hard to predict how long they have. I've had them live 18 months, and also had them pass much quicker. If you have access to a good avian vet and the cost is not an issue for you, they may be able to give you more information, imaging will sometimes show what's going on. But often the definite answer isn't known until they pass and a necropsy is done, symptoms can be very similar. I leave mine with the flock until they are obviously unwell, stop eating and drinking, isolate themselves or get attacked by the flock. Then I euthanize. Sadly, reproductive problems are not uncommon, particularly in birds over the age of two. :hugs

Back
Top Bottom