Chickens' First Snow

SFrati

Chirping
7 Years
Aug 11, 2014
Springfield, MA
Today my chickens will see snow for the first time ever. I am excited to see how they react. Maybe they will just hide (they are such chickens) or maybe they will be like school kids on a snow day running around and having a great time. How do your chickens act when the white stuff comes down? I will have to get my camera ready.

Mine just yawn...no biggie for them! But some girls hate it...go figure. If your girls have to 'travel' from the coop to, say, the run and they're not liking it, try tossing some straw on their "pathway"....easier on their feet!
frow.gif

Funny how ours reacted last year to first snow. Wouldn't go onto the snow, no way no how. They'd hop down and go under the house to dirt; but not the snow. We started throwing leaves into the pen, this was enough to get them onto the leaves/snow under and scratching the leaves/snow just as though the snow wasn't there, funny creatures. This also got them over to the water supply. They spent a whole day without water because they wouldn't walk on the snow.

Charlie

Funny how ours reacted last year to first snow. Wouldn't go onto the snow, no way no how. They'd hop down and go under the house to dirt; but not the snow. We started throwing leaves into the pen, this was enough to get them onto the leaves/snow under and scratching the leaves/snow just as though the snow wasn't there, funny creatures. This also got them over to the water supply. They spent a whole day without water because they wouldn't walk on the snow.

Charlie
Here's an idea for your "diva ladies" (!!!) ....

Yep, that's exactly what we see. Only don't have enough room to make a path. That is
lau.gif
way too funny. I need a bigger pen so I can do that to the girls. Did I say that; I'm sure I meant 'for' the girls
big_smile.png

Thanks iwiw60.

Charlie

Back
Top Bottom