Chickens for 10-20 years or more? Pull up a rockin' chair and lay some wisdom on us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, that's a trip down memory lane. I have all of my Dad's records that I grew up listening to. I haven't seen equipment like that since I was a kid. Beautiful piano! I never had a home big enough for that, but my oldest daughter does play. Edited because I forgot about the coop! Really nice design. It's nice to see a blueprint first. I should have done that, then I wouldn't have to make so many changes.
Galefrances, I like drawing projects first, then I'll get out there with a tape measure and get some exact measurements. Maybe I should have been an architect or supervisor. I love the planning stages but not doing the ACTUAL work...LOL. That run could easily be 20 X 40 feet with those border boxes around and the big potted whatever at the corners, and still have plenty of room if I decide to invite any (few) friends, from work or church, into my domain for a cook-out, whatever. I still have a covered concrete patio off the back around 10' X 12' to have some seating and table.

Thank God for two jobs right now so I can finish furnishing two bedrooms and hopefully get my "chicken project" complete before if/when I decide to retire next year on a very limited income. Not bragging, but I've paid off 3-year loans in 4 months and kept my credit score over 820. Sacrifices were many, but I'm still here.

So glad I actually kept this essay short, but would like to thank the OT's for keeping it real. I guess to each his own, and folks have chickens for different reasons, but they should read up about why they choose to have them in the first place. Knowledge goes a long way, and can reduce the number of stupid questions posted over and over again.

I was a kid when we had chickens, so I am surely no expert, but reading through this thread and about those Heritage breeds vs. Hatchery stock really got my interest going. My goodness, Hatchery stock burning out in less than two years? That's scary. I have no interest in breeding because of limited space, but very interested genetics/breeding...could read about that all day.

When time permits, I will go back through this entire thread and cut/paste all the useful info a document for my own use, so as not to clutter the board with questions that have been answered over and over again.

Thanks Again, Old Timers!!! --BB

Bobby Basham
Tucson, Arizona

I can't get it to work! I saved it the last time it was posted and I can't get that one to work either...just shows a grey box that says slide 1. Darn it! Phooey!
rant.gif

With apologies to Bobby B, and his wonderful Supremes reference:

You can't hurry eggs
No, you'll just have to wait
They'll lay when they're ready
No matter how you fuss and pace

How long must I wait
For some eggs on my plate
The nest box is empty
Every time I check each day

Oh I can't stand to live my life this way
Waiting for my girls to reach the point of lay
Just when I'm thinking that maybe I should cull
I remember all the words of wisdom on this forum

I can just hear Beekissed say:
You can't hurry eggs....

(clearly had way too much time on my hands today)
Rowerjen, either too much time on your hands, or too much to drink...LOL! I'm guilty of that at times, that's possibly why I tend to blabber on here at times. I think I still have the double LP set, but if not, it's on some CD compilation in my collection.

No apologies necessary, and please excuse me while I mix another Brandy & coke.
sickbyc.gif
--BB

Bobby Basham
Tucson, Arizona

ROFL @galanie's updated signature!!! I believe I am also a member of the Cult of Bee that gets fermented, not drunk! Ooooh, there has been some good gut-busting laughter from this thread tonight, folks!

And I don't remember who suggested it, or on which one of Bee's threads, but I found a stall nameplate today with one of my former horse's name on it... Im seriously thinking about repainting it to say "What Would Bee Do?" and hanging it on my coop door as a reminder to let chickens "bee" chickens!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom