Chickens for 10-20 years or more? Pull up a rockin' chair and lay some wisdom on us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This feed debacle has the potential to week or cull out the weak chicken folks and get them to thinkin twice, those cute pet's will start to dent their wallets and we can go back to talking about real chickens heheheheeee.

This feed debacle has the potential to week or cull out the weak chicken folks and get them to thinkin twice, those cute pet's will start to dent their wallets and we can go back to talking about real chickens heheheheeee.
http://americanpetproducts.org/press_industrytrends.asp

I just don't know. Americans, as recently as 1994,, spent 17 Billion, that's B, Billion on their pets. Want to hazard a guess what they spend this year?

Last edited:
Yup.

When asked why we have chickens I tell folks, "For the poop."

Actually, that's not too far from the truth.

I'm not sayiing it can't be done, I just haven't seen it done yet. When you guys finally come up with a name for "our strain of chickens" let me know we'll start selling our eggs online for $60 each and undercut those Tolbunt. They will be last year and we will be whats happening now ....the latest greatest that even GF doesn't have yet.
Guys....they really need to be lavender or chocolate in color....cuz those are the colors that are selling right now. Al probably has a bunch of lavender birds around his place that we cross into them for the color.
We can look it up on the color calculator for chickens....our chickens may have something in them that will throw the calculator off, but we can say they are splits from lav or some other catchy phrase that helps our bottom line. Internet sales....that's where it's at.

Walt

Hi all, I have been wondering why the 35-40 pullets we raised have only been laying 4-6 eggs aday for the last three weeks when they should be in almost full production! Well, son comes in yesterday evening and said" I figured out why the pullets aint layin good! " Why??? " Well i found an old dog crate with the door broken in the barn with 5-6 dozen various sized eggs in it!!!" SOOO the PULLETS are on lock down till they learn what a nest box is for!!! Oh well the butcher pigs will eat well this week anyways! Hope you all have a great evening! Lynn
cool.png
Oh Hi AL!!!
frow.gif

I'm not sayiing it can't be done, I just haven't seen it done yet. When you guys finally come up with a name for "our strain of chickens" let me know we'll start selling our eggs online for $60 each and undercut those Tolbunt. They will be last year and we will be whats happening now ....the latest greatest that even GF doesn't have yet.
Guys....they really need to be lavender or chocolate in color....cuz those are the colors that are selling right now. Al probably has a bunch of lavender birds around his place that we cross into them for the color.
We can look it up on the color calculator for chickens....our chickens may have something in them that will throw the calculator off, but we can say they are splits from lav or some other catchy phrase that helps our bottom line. Internet sales....that's where it's at.

Walt
Cnocolate laced lavender would do it!

Walt
lol.png

I'm wondering if it's the names chocolate and lavender that make them so popular? I sure don't think brown and gray birds would sell as well.
hide.gif
Of course, I have gray mutt lilac look alike turkeys. But they are for making next year's thanksgiving dinner, not me any money.

I just don't think about it - the cost per egg, that is. It's easier that way. I have chickens because I want to grow my own meat and eggs. Usually I just give away my extra eggs. Yes, I could sell them, and some people will pay me. I don't argue if they offer me money. I enjoy raising them and that's enough for me. As my chicken keeping evolves, I'm finding myself re-thinking their housing. My wonderful, kind, very patient husband built me a nice coop a couple of years ago. It's an 8x12 shed, with the front 4x8 a storage area, then the coop area. It also has a 12x16 run. It has electricity and 3 nice south-facing windows, so it is my "winter coop". Now I have decided that I want to raise Buckeyes along with my "variety pack" layer flock. All the chickens will be in the winter coop for the winter (with access to the run, of course), but in the spring I want to move them to the coop that we built this summer. It also has a 12x16 run, and the coop itself is 7x15. It can be divided into two parts so I can have my Bucks in one side, the other layers in the other part. (I'm hoping to have some broodies hatch out some Buckeye chicks for me in the spring). The "winter coop" will then become my grow-out pen for extra roosters during the summer. Then when they've been butchered, I'll move all my chickens back to the winter coop in the cold months, and so it goes. After all this, my question is: How badly will I mess up their little chicken brains by moving them from one coop to another twice a year? Will it permanently damage their little psyches? I realize it will take them some time to start laying again after they get moved. What do you OT's think?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom