Chickens for 10-20 years or more? Pull up a rockin' chair and lay some wisdom on us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
A big Thank You to the OTs that buckled in and came along On this ride, helping Us newbies to slow down. With a guiding hand and lots, a lot, of patience.
Thank you for sharing the years of hard earned wisdom. The simple words and thoughts. The no-non sense attitude. The value in what you all have shared cannot be put into words.
My small back yard flock is happier than ever. And I'm happy to let them be.

I have the tools to give my chickens everything they need to be happy and produce. Not what I think they could want.
The ability to do it sensibly and simply, without Killing my bank account.

All of it possible because of One Thread. And a Handful of wonderful and knowledgeable OTs. Otherwise I might be setting up air conditioners, and/or heat lamps. Deworming with Chemicals. Changing the water often because they got a little dirt in it. Etc,etc.
barnie.gif

Thank You Once again. And Happy 1 Year Birthday to the thread. May it continue guiding us Noobs.
big_smile.png

Another big thank you to the OTs on this thread. I'm mostly a learner/lurker but I really appreciate the down-to-earth real world advice and ideas on this thread. Can't help but learn here, keep it coming.

To all the OT's: I would like to sincerely thank you for the knowledge and confidence I have received since finding this thread. Before coming here I had been overwhelmed with misinformation that made me doubt I could ever raise chickens. I have completely changed the way I manage my chickens and practice the animal husbandry that you all have taught me throughout these 11,000+ pages. But most importantly, I have changed the way I "think". I 'see' through very different eyes now when I look at my flock. And my chickens are healthy, happy, and productive. I would also like to thank you for answering my questions honestly and helping me to understand why I needed to change the way I was caring for my flock.

I have spent the past several weeks implementing the new methods I have learned. I am confident. I am calm. When I walk through my flock, I see with the eyes of your experience. You have all touched my heart.

I no longer clean out my coop weekly. I now use leaves and grass clippings in addition to the pine shavings for deep litter.
My coop is well ventilated. There are no drafts or artificial light or heat.
My coop went from 80 sq ft for 12 birds to an additional 200 sq ft when we converted the run into extra space.
My chickens are no longer confined to a run. They now free range in rotating 1/2 acre paddocks so they always have a fresh green area to forage in.
They enjoy fermented feed. I treat them to animal protein as well fresh vegetables when available in limited amounts and pumpkin seeds and flesh for natural deworming.
Their water is treated with ACV with mother (that I make myself).
They dust bathe in wood ash and dirt.
AND....
I understand the reasoning for culling my flock and the criteria to use to make that decision. And I will accept that responsibility when the time comes.

clap.gif
THANK YOU....job well done folks. Happy One Year Anniversary.

Sincerely,

Gale
love.gif

Never see anyone in nest boxes but I can tell they are in there. DO you think I will have to wait till spring for eggs now that the days are shorter?
Thank you to you all

big_smile.png
My girls are just a bit younger than yours and I, too, am looking forward to POL. Mine 'practice' in the nest boxes and their combs and wattles are turning a lovely shade of red. But right now we only get about 10 hours of sunlight a day and I don't artificially light the coop. I'm really trying hard to tell myself that it will be spring and just be patient, but it sure is hard.
big_smile.png

Happy Birthday to this thread, to the OT's with all their wisdom and sanity when it comes to chickens and to this website. When I look at my coop and my run and how secure, efficient and odor free it is, I know it's because of the OT's. When I see my healthy flock doing what they're supposed to do, I know it's because of the OT's. When I got my first egg last week, finally after 26 weeks (and no artificial lighting) and saw how perfect it was inside and out (perfectly formed, hard shell, bright golden orange yolk) I could not have been more proud but know the OT's deserve some credit for providing their knowledge and experience to us newbies. 'Course my family blames this website for turning me into a crazy chicken lady, but oh well, it could always be worse. Love to you all.

big_smile.png
My girls are just a bit younger than yours and I, too, am looking forward to POL. Mine 'practice' in the nest boxes and their combs and wattles are turning a lovely shade of red. But right now we only get about 10 hours of sunlight a day and I don't artificially light the coop. I'm really trying hard to tell myself that it will be spring and just be patient, but it sure is hard.
big_smile.png

Don't give up hope, Maven. One of my pullets started yesterday. Got a pretty olive green egg, about medium...not bad for a first egg...bigger than most of the others produced their first time. I don't have any idea how old she is, since I bought her at a swap, and the guy had dozens of chickens there...he just laughed when I wanted to know when one particular chicken hatched. Anyway, I'm guessing that since I'm on the other side of the state from you, that we're getting the same amount of daylight, and it can happen!

Ok OTS can I ask you opinion? Do either of these hens look close to POL with how their combs/wattles look? They are 30 weeks old this week per the date the person who gave them to me said was hatch date. On FF with of course fresh veggies/fruits.

Never see anyone in nest boxes but I can tell they are in there. DO you think I will have to wait till spring for eggs now that the days are shorter?

I'm not going to try to guess. Light, heredity, and just the pullet's individual self all play a part. But they will lay when they lay.

I've had 20 to 22 week old pullets start to lay late November or early December. I've had pullets 30 weeks old wait until late November for the first one to lay her first egg. I've had pullets from these same hatches wait until the days get longer to start, usually February.

I took this photo about a week ago. The little brown one is from a 20 week old pullet. The blue one was from a 30 week old that just started. You can tell the difference in size since she is older. The big brown one was from a hen thay has finished her molt and just went back to laying.

I processed hatch mates of the 20 and 30 week olds last week. One of the 20 week olds was about ready to start. Two others and the two 30 week olds I processed were not even thinking about it.

I do not provide extra light. I do not give them anything special to eat or drink to kick start them. I do not put on a funny costume, hop three times on my left leg, then hop three times on my right leg, then squawk "Lay! Lay! Lay!" at them.

I understand your frustration, but for me, they lay when they lay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom