Chickens for 10-20 years or more? Pull up a rockin' chair and lay some wisdom on us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use momentum and force when killing small animals. I can say that I've never had to kill a chick in all these years...but I know just how I'd do it. I quick swing and a thunk of the head against a hard surface like a work bench or fence post. Works well on fragile skulls/spines.

OK I FOUND THE GOLD MINE OF INFO I WAS LOOKING FOR
THANKS

wee.gif
:weee:weee:weee:weee:weee:weee:weee:weee:weee:weee:weee:weee:weee:weee

This is just what I needed
how to raise chickens as chickens
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
Yes... we actually have to build fences around the garden and any trees or the hoards of rabbits eat everything. That was one of 20 or so in the yard every morning looking for anything the chickens may have missed.

You need a really good cat!
big_smile.png
My cat was such a supreme hunter and baby rabbits were his favorite prey...he would consume the whole thing, bones, fur and all..except a small part of the gut. Until I lost my cat, I didn't realize just how much he kept the rodent, squirrel and rabbit populations down to a manageable level.

A good outside cat that hunts for his supper is an invaluable tool on a farm.

Quote:
Our neighbor has 10 cat's that run the property (not all that thrilled) and they do eat some of them, but there are so many out here you wouldn't believe it. I tried years ago to eliminate the problem, but gave up and now just practice prevention and fence them out of things green.

During the winter we can eat them, but not in warmer months.

Last edited:
Wow! Imagine how many you'd have if there weren't any cats....
tongue.png
My dogs would be in hog heaven with that many rabbits to chase! Around this state, the coyotes have increased to the point that we are sadly lacking in small game like rabbits, groundhogs, squirrels, etc. They are just gradually disappearing....

Quote:
X2 - we have not seen a live mouse anywhere near our house since we got our cat two years ago. He keeps mice, squirrels, moles, snakes and chipmunks away from the house. He sometimes tries to scare the chickens, but I think he would be on the losing end if he ever seriously messed with them.

My cat used to do the same thing...I called them practice.
big_smile.png
He'd stalk a fat hen, get in close, make a quick dart towards her enough to make her squawk and run, then he'd just lay down and smile that smile cats do when they've had a little fun.

He got so good at it that I would use him to run the chooks back into the perimeter fence for me...all I had to do was call the cat and tell him "Get the chickens!" and he'd run them back over the gates and look back at me like, "Call me if it happens again...."
cool.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom