Chickens for 10-20 years or more? Pull up a rockin' chair and lay some wisdom on us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Minchi:

Not! I tried. I guess it's floatin' around in cyberspace somewhere. My phone said "message sent" but computer hasn't received it. I am so technologically "challenged" it's pitiful. Actually, I think the word is actually "intimidated!" haha!

lol, it takes time. I was lucky I was at the start of the tech boom when I was in high school so I learned it early. I also taught basic tech to people who were a few generations ahead of me. The key rule don't fear it. Phones can be a bit of a pain though. I have had my phone for a year and I am still learning things. Granted I have not tried to learn how to use it so it is mostly my fault, partly samsung's. They really have bad interfaces.

Just curious as to what you would consider free range? To me it simply means no fence. I have 4 acres and mine use all of it plus a little State ground as well as the neighbors woods (Very little)... Not trying to be rude obnoxious or anything of the ilk, just piqued my interest.

I have 5 acres and about 3 acres of it has some cattle barbed wire fence around it. I consider my birds who roam it free range just because it's easier to say that then to say I have birds inside a 3 acre fence. I would let them be totally free but they don't seem to care. If I leave the gate open they don't go anywhere. But their fenced area has a pond and tons of trees, apple tree blackberries...... Would you wanna leave that area lol.

Also I never clip wings and they never get out...it's weird. Lol. They will follow me outside the gate but they always end up right back in lol. My biggest concern is dogs. I feel a bit better if they stay in the fence. If they wonder over in the neighbors yard they are fair game for their dog and I would not be happy lol.

I think the breed of chicken has alot to do with it too, if you have slow running meaties you better protect them. I kind of doubt my layers will die from old age...not if they insist on straying into the wrong places...so I don't clip wings, they need the advantage. The younger ones don't stray so far now...I hope it stays that way...they always want a hand out.

I am in south central fla surronded by citrus. gave my 5 old, mean rir's to friends mother. she is old time florida cracker farmer and first thing when i brought the hens over she picked a few oranges, sliced them and threw them in the coop with them. years ago they were poor farmers and ate whatever they could get their hands on, so they always had chickens and groves. My hens are spending their summer under my avocado tree(which is listed as toxic) they have started to rippen and a few have fallen when the hens are out in the afternoon. i have seen a few pecks in one or 2, but non eaten, so i guess they know what they do not like. not about to fence off a 20 ft tree. there are other plants toxic here that grow wild-they will just have to depend on instinct.
Of course citrus does go well with cooked chicken
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
I am in south central fla surronded by citrus. gave my 5 old, mean rir's to friends mother. she is old time florida cracker farmer and first thing when i brought the hens over she picked a few oranges, sliced them and threw them in the coop with them. years ago they were poor farmers and ate whatever they could get their hands on, so they always had chickens and groves. My hens are spending their summer under my avocado tree(which is listed as toxic) they have started to rippen and a few have fallen when the hens are out in the afternoon. i have seen a few pecks in one or 2, but non eaten, so i guess they know what they do not like. not about to fence off a 20 ft tree. there are other plants toxic here that grow wild-they will just have to depend on instinct.
Of course citrus does go well with cooked chicken
thumbsup.gif
I hear a lot pf people say RIR's are mean. Mine aren't. Pretty friendly actually for free range birds

Whether they'll fly the fence and go running around everywhere depends a lot on breed. I'm in the city with a half acre and my Orpingtons don't go anywhere. They can indeed fly the 4 feet it would take to get over the fence but they just never do. The other breeds though better be good at running to survive because I can't keep them in the yard.

My Layers are free ranged then. My Freedom Rangers are pasture raised and not in a tractor, but in an electric poultry fence. I have had problems with some of my layers and their captain roosting in the garage. I believe these 7 are the remnants of my original flock. I originally brought them home and put a nice little coop and run next to the woods under some pine trees. The coon almost wiped me out. I let the chickens go and they started roosting in the yard and garage. I built them a new coop and run, then early this year moved all of them back to the barn away from the house. Had coon start coming around and these oldsters want no part of it. I am hoping when I get the hogs out back of the barn it may dissuade the coon from coming so close, plus I may run a strand of electric around the barn at 3 inches.... So much to learn yet....

Man is it warmin' up! I make sure my girls have plenty of water, shade and airflow. I don't want to baby em but I don't want em to suffer needlessly. Should I be doing more?

I forgot to mention that all the chooks have had Bragg's ACV added to thier water every day since birth.

I put out a container of water for them to walk in to cool down, my chickens love it and if I don't they try to walk in their drinking water. I keep the tap water for there feet in the fridge and if I am home I might toss a hand full of ice in it if it warms up too much. My chicks are spoiled, I know it but yours might like the a wadding pool in the shade. Mine hate the sun if it is hot and try to stay in the shade as much as they can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom