Chickens for 10-20 years or more? Pull up a rockin' chair and lay some wisdom on us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
okay i have a very serious chicken problem. so i will need the advice of all chicken persons . i went out today and sat and watched the flock. i was very disturbed of the fact that of i have found.
i had found a med lite brown mass under one of my girls. it was kind of round shaped oblong with some speckles on it. could it be what you folks call an egg or is it just a very large poop.

serious note... my 17 week old pullets started to lay. i am so proud of them and myself for good flock care.. it was a very nice med. egg. very good hard shell. so out came the bowl of oyster shell. yeah chickens.

Depends on the other farm/person...I've seen some that are just old country farms and I'd trust their dirt/manure with my life. I've seen some that I wouldn't let my dog take a dukey on, let alone trust that their dirt was in a healthy balance.

Whenever I see barren, wet earth in small pens of animals/chickens and overstocking in barns/pastures...I know that the wrong kind of germs are king and ruler of that land.
There is a place between where we live and my brother in law, so I go by it fairly often, anyway there isn't a blade of grass on the property ANYWHERE, seriously not one blade, the chickens are running everywhere right up to the house. I'm not talking a denuded 20x20 run I mean the whole entire property. It makes my skin crawl everytime I just drive by.

You forgot bra's.  (I just became aware of such a thing this past week  /img/smilies/lol.png )

Here is my stab at 5.

1. Chickens do not need treats or warm mushy human food, served to them.

2. Chickens brains are not wired like a humans, they don't think about..... Gee that rooster sure is being mean to me. and they are not emotional like most prefer to think they are.

3. Chickens do not require names to survive, or diapers, or aprons.

4. News flash.......... chickens actually do much better outside not in the house lounging on your sofa leaving you a smelly little gift and scratching in the carpet for bug's.

5. Holding a chicken to your face WILL !!! get yer eye poked out.

Bras seriously tortue I hate wearing them
and I name them only to keep track of em

This is funny reading the thread and talking about the dirt. . . .my 8 yr old daughter gets out in the coop stomps in chicken crap and says little crap wont kill anyone will it momma!!!!! I tell her that is right might do them a little good every now and then. She will be holding a chicken and it poop on her my mother 'bout has a fit she will catch something from that!!! (please keep in mind my mother did all the farming in our family my dad was in a wheel chair since I was 1). My other 2 daughters will get rite in the coop to and my son one daughter however is a little scared of the crap!!!

Had to share that one .. . .I do have a ? I just got my incubator and was wondering if it is to late in the year to pull of some eggs? We are all excited and can't wait to use it. We only have 8 eggs though, I have had 6 since yesterday sitting on my counter will they be ok to use? Someone told me they have to be kept at 55 degress are they will not hatch. . . is this true?

WHAT WOULD YOU THINK?
This has been eating on me for some time, and finally I am compelled to inquire what others think. I made an inquiry as a personal message to one of the respected contributors on this thread regarding availability and pricing of hatching eggs for two different breeds of large fowl. They are not very common and good ones are hard to find.
I assumed that the individual was not interested in my request and that I was not going to get a response. I made arrangements and went in a different direction to fill what I was looking for.
More than 50 days later I got a message from the original party contacted that hatching eggs were available and price was $x. I responded politely and informed him that I had made other arrangements. His reply back was, "I just love it when people waste my time".
It burned me to think that this individual thought that he was so important that people should wait almost two months for a response from him without looking for other possible sources.
What would you think of an individual that responded as he did? Would you even consider attempting to do business with them a second time?
I had something similar happen to me awhile back.

I contacted a very respected chicken person about chicks and was told "no way" would that person send me chicks here in Hawaii because it was too much hassle. I made other arrangements and decided to try hatching eggs and had them sent to me from someone else. Months later the original person I contacted emailed me saying that they would send me chicks now. I was very gracious but told this person that I had already "made other arrangements but thank you so much for considering it". I thought that was the end of it because I got no response.

A couple weeks later I got an email saying my info was needed for the permits for the chicks. I again said that I was so sorry and not sure how the misunderstanding happened but I did not need the chicks. Again I got to response.

Then...on the public forum this person posted on a thread where I post often saying that someone from Hawaii had ordered chicks, they were incubated and hatched and that then I would not respond or pay for the chicks. I was shocked! It was obvious the post was about me. Others all chimed in about how rude it was and inconsiderate. I would never ever order chicks or eggs and not pay for them. EVer... I am just not like that.

I sent a private message and a regular email trying to clear it up but never got a response. It was so weird. To this day I do not understand how the misunderstanding happened. Looking back I should have just taken the chicks and paid for them tho I didn't need them anymore. Now I am a member of a bird club that this person is the president of. ack!! Just trying to pretend it did not happen but you know how that kind of stuff is always in the back of your mind? Bummer.
idunno.gif
The worst part is that I totally respect this person but am afraid I have inadvertently lost all chance of being taken seriously by this person.

This is funny reading the thread and talking about the dirt. . . .my 8 yr old daughter gets out in the coop stomps in chicken crap and says little crap wont kill anyone will it momma!!!!! I tell her that is right might do them a little good every now and then. She will be holding a chicken and it poop on her my mother 'bout has a fit she will catch something from that!!! (please keep in mind my mother did all the farming in our family my dad was in a wheel chair since I was 1). My other 2 daughters will get rite in the coop to and my son one daughter however is a little scared of the crap!!!

Had to share that one .. . .I do have a ? I just got my incubator and was wondering if it is to late in the year to pull of some eggs? We are all excited and can't wait to use it. We only have 8 eggs though, I have had 6 since yesterday sitting on my counter will they be ok to use? Someone told me they have to be kept at 55 degress are they will not hatch. . . is this true?

No this is not true. They will keep on your counter for 7-10 days after that viability drops considerably. If you are planning on hatching them they recommend turning them once a day till you put them in the bator. They will keep longer at 55 degrees. I hatched some that were over a month old that I had kept cool and added humidity.

No this is not true. They will keep on your counter for 7-10 days after that viability drops considerably. If you are planning on hatching them they recommend turning them once a day till you put them in the bator. They will keep longer at 55 degrees. I hatched some that were over a month old that I had kept cool and added humidity.
ty for the reply FuzzyButts . . .. I think I will turn these and see what we get in the next couple of days. . . .so we still have time to hatch and be safe in the winter for the babies?

Depends on the other farm/person...I've seen some that are just old country farms and I'd trust their dirt/manure with my life. I've seen some that I wouldn't let my dog take a dukey on, let alone trust that their dirt was in a healthy balance.

Whenever I see barren, wet earth in small pens of animals/chickens and overstocking in barns/pastures...I know that the wrong kind of germs are king and ruler of that land.
Now THAT is a GREAT post!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom