Chickens for 10-20 years or more? Pull up a rockin' chair and lay some wisdom on us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don,t feel a bit sorry for the zombies..but I do think the birds are getting the smallest piece of the pie. Salatin has hoodwinked way too many people.

Finished catching up on all the posts and sure have enjoyed them. I've laughed and taken notes. sure appreciate all the wisdom.

Al, how is your AI program going?

Hey Nan........... I don't AI as much any more just for specific situations, My bigger roosters are producing naturaly more now than ever with a new improved custom feeding blend I have been mixing during breeding season.

And that super, special blend ingredients would be???
pop.gif
Or is that proprietary?
big_smile.png

I've just started with calf manna supplement. This stuff smells good enough to eat. My question is how soon to start giving these to the chicks I have in the brooder? At what age does this become a good feed supplement for chicks?

I'm currently giving it to my layers that are molting and the ones right at POL.

Thanks. Coming from an old country girl I am really appreciating the large dose of reality and practicality in this thread.

Last edited:
i am coming out with a new book . it is called ' how to buy and manage a self sustaining chicken farm with no money down "
this book is warranted to save you big money. what i did was use methods taught by Carlton sheets and Joel Salatin and combined them to a step by step guide for the beginning farmer.
chapters include:
1.where to buy a chicken
2 how to hatch eggs in your bra
3. how to recycle chicken waste
4. step by step instruction on free ranging.
5. how to properly teach a rooster to mate
6. how to teach a chicken proper manners
7. how to set up your in home chicken room
8 . how to properly diaper your chicken

and so much more

you can recognize the book easily. there is a picture of myself shirtless sporting my new double D's with chicken eggs under them.

also included are coupon discounts for my other books such as the number 1 seller roosters and the hens that love them, when roosters go bad, and chicken on the range

Last edited:
I have used incandecent bulbs (40,60,100) clear or frosted for 30+ years to brood my chicks. I don't use red. During that time I have brooded tens of thousands chicks without a problem. They seem to sleep just fine and if they need more heat they just move closer to the bulb. It has been the cheapest easiest method I have used. I guess I need to buy a few cases of them now that they are becoming rare.

Walt

i am coming out with a new book . it is called ' how to buy and manage a self sustaining chicken farm "
this book is garrented to save you big money. what i did was use methods taught by carlton sheets and joel satatin and combined them to a step by step guide for the begining farmer.
chaperts include:
1.where to buy a chicken

and so much more

you can reconize the book easily. there is a picture of myself shirtless sporting my new double d's with chicken eggs under them.

also included are coupon discounts for my other books such as the number 1 seller roosters and the hens that love them, when roosters go bad, and chicken on the range

I can get it published for you.

Gail Demarow/Luttmann and I were partners in a printing venture in the 70's-80's and I can tell you that her knowledge of chickens is minimal, yet she churns out all kinds of poultry books. She just takes existing info and puts it in her cutesy way and the books sell like hotcakes. Her poultry management practices are nothing like the books....lol She also does a lot of ripping off of info from others.

Walt

lol.png
We can only hope!

Yes, I used to be a Salatin groupie and started following his writings and listening to him speak clear back in the 90s. Started using some of his methods and found them satisfactory. Read all his books several times. Finally moved closer to where he has his farm and got a chance to go on a tour....sort of like my Graceland, you could say.

Yeah, I know, I'm naive and gullible....I don't know that I will ever grow out of expecting folks to be straight shooters and I'm always looking for the good in people.
roll.png

You could say I'm cured of that where Salatin is concerned. I guess I was expecting his place and animals to be like he describes in his books and I was expecting him to have the values that he professes to have...not saying he doesn't for sure, just saying it wasn't real obvious to the casual observer on that day.
See what you have to do is get busy and start writing your book so us and others know what good chicken husbandry is all about.

i am coming out with a new book . it is called ' how to buy and manage a self sustaining chicken farm with no money down "
this book is warranted to save you big money. what i did was use methods taught by Carlton sheets and Joel Salatin and combined them to a step by step guide for the beginning farmer.
chapters include:
1.where to buy a chicken

and so much more

you can recognize the book easily. there is a picture of myself shirtless sporting my new double D's with chicken eggs under them.

yuckyuck.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom