Chickens for 10-20 years or more? Pull up a rockin' chair and lay some wisdom on us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow!  Aren't you lucky to have all that space!!!  Great pics and questions....I'll try to answer a few and any other OT that wants to chime in, please do so. 

BK, I know you recommend pine shavings over the straw/hay and was wondering if you have any other suggestions for floor cover during the winter? I am sure that my hubs will scoff at the idea of purchasing pine shavings when we have these bales laying around unused. Is the straw really terrible? I can tell its a bit messy as they kind of toss it all over most of the time anyway, but I also have a large pile of wood chips that I had dumped in the yard when the electric company came by and did some tree trimming last summer. It's not chipped fine like pine shavings, but would that be better than the straw and hay? The trees would be mostly cottonwoods, and a few pines. If you can't tell, I am trying to get by with things I am able to scavenge outta the other buildings and barn. In fact, I even had what I think we're galvanized waters and feeders, but they were so rusted I couldn't figure out how to get anything into them so I went and purchased that hanging feeder which I really like because the cats and dogs cannot figure it out and that keeps them outta the chicken food. And that blue water dish was a freebie from a friend who had an extra one she didn't want.

In that back unlit section of the coop I may just replace that wood door with a glass one that I found in one of the sheds. I also have some windows that I saved from when we replaced the windows on the house. (Always knew they would be handy for something!) but I will more than likely save those projects for spring. Since I will need the hubs to help. I was also thinking I could use your cattle panel hoop house idea to attach a small greenhouse space back there for a fun chicken winter playhouse. I've already got a lot of bent up panels from when a fire took out most of our fence last fall. I may try to use some of those. How on earth do you bend them though? I know they are super sturdy.

I found some longer 2x4 pieces that I think I can use to rebuild those roosts a little sturdier and more like you described, and I found a piece that I think will be good for helping to get that other nest box mounted up too. I even have another set of 6 boxes that my cousin and I were able to scavenge from my grandfather's old barn, and I thought I can use them if I ever expand into the dark space.

I was also wondering about the feed mills where all you old timers get your feed. And excuse me since I am new to the whole farming and chickens thing, but if I wanted to get large quantities of food from a place like that how would I begin tracking one down? I know there is an elevator a few miles up the road... Is someplace like that a good place to start? I know there is also a co-op place that sells seeds for planting about a half hour down the road.... Maybe there? So far I have just been using the bagged feed from Tsc, but the chickens do pretty much free range out of the time. (We've got a total of 15 acres) I've been keeping them penned in the mornings since the young ones are just starting to lay and I don't like egg hunts, but I think there is only one bird left that has not laid her first egg so I should be good to start letting them roam a bit more.

I found a few more oddities laying around that I think are for birds and hopefully tomorrow I will have time to get those pictures posted to get some feedback on what the heck they are. I wish I would have known I was going to get chickens 5 years ago when we bought this place. I bet I threw a bunch of stuff I could have used!

I just cannot say thank you to all of you and your willingness to share your knowledge with numbskulls like me who truly want to be practical about supplying their families with food, and fun, because we all know that chickens are hilarious! THANK YOU!

BK, I know you recommend pine shavings over the straw/hay and was wondering if you have any other suggestions for floor cover during the winter? I am sure that my hubs will scoff at the idea of purchasing pine shavings when we have these bales laying around unused. Is the straw really terrible? It's not terrible, so to speak, but it isn't ideal either. Some of the OTs use it just fine but I've found it to be a little clunky when it comes to deep litter. If you aren't going to use deep litter, it should be just fine. It doesn't seem to absorb the moisture and seems to get moldy quicker than the pine shavings. Hard to move once it's heavy with moisture...for a woman, that's an issue, but guys don't seem to care. I find the pine shavings easier to move/shovel/fork when wanting to replace/displace bedding. I understand wanting to use free stuff...all you can do is experiment with it and see how you like it as you go along. It just might suit your needs and husbandry style...and it's free!
big_smile.png
I can tell its a bit messy as they kind of toss it all over most of the time anyway, but I also have a large pile of wood chips that I had dumped in the yard when the electric company came by and did some tree trimming last summer. It's not chipped fine like pine shavings, but would that be better than the straw and hay? IMO, yes. Free is good and I don't get too picky with free stuff...it doesn't have to be fine chipped. Some folks here use pine needles, fall leaves, etc. and I've tried the leaves but they seem to disappear/break down rather quickly and then can't be found.
The trees would be mostly cottonwoods, and a few pines. If you can't tell, I am trying to get by with things I am able to scavenge outta the other buildings and barn. In fact, I even had what I think we're galvanized waters and feeders, but they were so rusted I couldn't figure out how to get anything into them so I went and purchased that hanging feeder which I really like because the cats and dogs cannot figure it out and that keeps them outta the chicken food. And that blue water dish was a freebie from a friend who had an extra one she didn't want.
In that back unlit section of the coop I may just replace that wood door with a glass one that I found in one of the sheds. I also have some windows that I saved from when we replaced the windows on the house. (Always knew they would be handy for something!) but I will more than likely save those projects for spring. Since I will need the hubs to help. I was also thinking I could use your cattle panel hoop house idea to attach a small greenhouse space back there for a fun chicken winter playhouse. I've already got a lot of bent up panels from when a fire took out most of our fence last fall. I may try to use some of those. How on earth do you bend them though? I know they are super sturdy.
I found some longer 2x4 pieces that I think I can use to rebuild those roosts a little sturdier and more like you described, and I found a piece that I think will be good for helping to get that other nest box mounted up too. I even have another set of 6 boxes that my cousin and I were able to scavenge from my grandfather's old barn, and I thought I can use them if I ever expand into the dark space.
I was also wondering about the feed mills where all you old timers get your feed. And excuse me since I am new to the whole farming and chickens thing, but if I wanted to get large quantities of food from a place like that how would I begin tracking one down? I know there is an elevator a few miles up the road... Is someplace like that a good place to start? I know there is also a co-op place that sells seeds for planting about a half hour down the road.... Maybe there?Both would be a good start for asking about milled feeds. You can also buy dog and cat food from these places, so often it is a one stop shopping experience.

So far I have just been using the bagged feed from Tsc, but the chickens do pretty much free range out of the time. (We've got a total of 15 acres) I've been keeping them penned in the mornings since the young ones are just starting to lay and I don't like egg hunts, but I think there is only one bird left that has not laid her first egg so I should be good to start letting them roam a bit more.
I found a few more oddities laying around that I think are for birds and hopefully tomorrow I will have time to get those pictures posted to get some feedback on what the heck they are. I wish I would have known I was going to get chickens 5 years ago when we bought this place. I bet I threw a bunch of stuff I could have used!
I just cannot say thank you to all of you and your willingness to share your knowledge with numbskulls like me who truly want to be practical about supplying their families with food, and fun, because we all know that chickens are hilarious! THANK YOU! Bless you! It's fun to help someone who is so thorough in their descriptions, questions and even offering good pics....lovely! I'm excited for you to have these buildings and equipment handy for getting started. It gives you a definite leg up as a newbie.

Loghousemom: Don't you just love scavenging? I have had more fun going through old outbuildings and dragging stuff out that I had no idea what it was, or what it was for...And we have used tons of it in our chicken preparations! I found one metal object with sharp spiney slivers sticking up off a flat metal plate. Reminded me of a cheese grater, sort of, but obviously meant for livestock. Bryan told me it was to put on a halter of a calf to break it from sucking. "How would it keep a calf from sucking?" (since it obviously didn't fit into a calf's mouth!) Bryan explained that when the calf went to suck from a cow, the sharp pointy part would stick the cow's udder (OUCH!) and she would kick the daylights out of the calf..".worked every time!" he said. Yeah, I'll bet it did! Have found old nestboxes, old feeders, galvanized waterers, that brooder we are now using for the layer chicks, old wooden chicken transport boxes w/ lids and spindles (that I have taken to the house, cleaned up, varnished, and am using for end tables in the den). All kinds of stuff. I've about gone through all the outbuildings, tho,
hit.gif
so I'll have to find other things to amuse myself! lol.

Brie

loghousemom, here;s my 2 cents worth, and that really is all it is worth.....
smile.png

I use straw because where we are it is next to impossible to get pine shavings - everything around here is oak and if you want pine you have to either go pay a ransom for it or wait and wait until one of the saw mills does pine, which is scheduled rarely.

I use the deep litter method. I've never had a problem with mold, moisture, or anything else, and it doesn't get much more humid than Southern Missouri in the summer. BUT, I didn't just throw some straw down and let it go. Here is what I do:

1. DE - I use it generously. I took a plastic mayo jar and drilled some little holes in the top of it and that is what I use like a giant salt shaker to spread it. Once a week I sprinkle the straw with a bit of it all over.

2. I throw scratch and BOSS in the straw to keep the girls constantly digging in it when they are in the coop.

3. At least once a week I take a pitchfork and toss/fluff the straw a bit and move it around - takes just a few minutes and this keeps the air moving through the straw.

4. If starting with new straw, I put my base down and then add a couple of flakes a week when I toss the straw until I get it as deep as I want it. They work it down, then I add more.

I started with my first ''batch' of deep litter in early July. In mid-September we cleaned it all out ONLY because my Mr. was ready to disc-plow the garden for the winter and wanted to plow in the straw/manure. He was utterly amazed at how much chicken poop came out of that dry, clean-looking straw when we took it out. I don't plan on changing it out again until Spring when it is time to till again.

My coop is clean and odor free, and I think it is a combo of the above, and fermented feed, period.
smile.png

Question for the OTs:
Is there a particular ratio of roo to hen that you try / like to maintain?
1 to 5?
1 to 10?
1 to 20?
This is assuming no breeding pairs, breeding for specific genetics, or breeding for show. Just curious about a farm flock whether small farm or large farm husbandry practice that has worked for you.
Do you have a roo you rotate between multiple coops of hens if you want biddies for restocking layers or for meat?
Does it depend on the individual roo and hens? Does it depend on the breed?
Really enjoying this thread and remember the few chickens I helped my dad with as a youngster. Not that many chickens, but thousands (no exaggeration) of Bobwhite and coutournix quail raised strictly for meat.
I have different roo to hen ratios depending on the type of chicken. I have 2 groups of bantams and 1 larger group of layers. In one bantam group, 1 roo is with 3 hens. In another bantam group, 1 roo is with four hens. As for the layers, I try to keep at least 8 hens to 1 roo, which is what I have now. I could have 15 or 20 laying hens to the one rooster and be fine but any fewer than 7 hens and I would start to see signs of overmating. It depends greatly upon the individual roo and the breed. Some chicken breeds and individuals are naturally more sexually active it seems versus others that are more mellow. You will just have to watch your chickens and let them show you what they need.

I've just started with calf manna supplement. This stuff smells good enough to eat. My question is how soon to start giving these to the chicks I have in the brooder? At what age does this become a good feed supplement for chicks?

I'm currently giving it to my layers that are molting and the ones right at POL.

Thanks. Coming from an old country girl I am really appreciating the large dose of reality and practicality in this thread.
I put it in a baggie, and smash it up when the chicks are a week or two old.

I have 8 ft of (main) roost and 11 chickens. Last night it was cool, and there were 7 huddled up in about 3 feet, and the other 4 down on the lower roost. Some days, they just line up like little soldiers though!
You need another tall roost as high as your highest one. Each LF needs 18 " of roost space. Those you saw on the lower roost had no way to fly up due to their wingspan. Chickens are not rocket propelled to hit a target. They need room to fly up, and turn around.

The info these folks have published has been around for decades, they just re-wrap it and try to make it harder than it is. Chickens on their own can overpopulate a city park in short order.......even eating popcorn and chewing gum, so they have to be sturdy creatures. I am retired from a local university here in Sonoma County. The grounds people would comment on my particularly long stemmed roses that I would bring in ..until they found out how I did it. I have a lot of roses here and it would take forever to trim them to a goblet shape, so I use a gas chainsaw and just trim them down to about 6" twice a year. I have very healthy roses and I do use a sharp chain.

Walt
75+ rose bushes, and going strong. They LOVE hot chicken poop.

Better buy em fast, Walt..I heard they are no longer manufacturing those. They should still have them for awhile at Family Dollar and Dollar General. I'll be stocking up too, as this is what I prefer to brood with as well.
I was at Menards yesterday, big end cap display of incandescent bulbs, 40, 60, 100; a four pack was 99¢.

The info these folks have published has been around for decades, they just re-wrap it and try to make it harder than it is. Chickens on their own can overpopulate a city park in short order.......even eating popcorn and chewing gum, so they have to be sturdy creatures. I am retired from a local university here in Sonoma County. The grounds people would comment on my particularly long stemmed roses that I would bring in ..until they found out how I did it. I have a lot of roses here and it would take forever to trim them to a goblet shape, so I use a gas chainsaw and just trim them down to about 6" twice a year. I have very healthy roses and I do use a sharp chain.

Walt

Gotta love this!
lol.png
Hacking the roses off with a chainsaw...my kind of gardening! We found our rosebush really responded to the deer pruning it...made it send off many new canes and blooms. I'll have to tell mama about the chainsaw..we just got each of ours sharpened and it's time to trim up the lavender. Hmmmmm.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom