Chickens for 10-20 years or more? Pull up a rockin' chair and lay some wisdom on us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand if it's frowned upon; I wasn't griping. If it's not a big deal though, I'd appreciate some input.

They are around 20-weeks-old, give or take a week. When I got them, they were black with some gold mixed in, so I was hoping for Wyandottes. Well, they are certainly NOT Wyandottes.
gig.gif
I'm curious to know, is it normal for the "blond" headed one to be so pale faced? Is it odd that the "brunette" has so much black on her comb? Is it weird that their combs and wattles are so tiny for their age? They tend to eat differently than my hatchery golden comets. They turn their beaks up at cottage cheese and scrambled eggs and seem to prefer fruit and veg. They are SO skinny compared to my other chickens, even though they eat well. Any way to help them plump up a little before it gets cold? Even if they are mutts, I think I'll enjoy having them in the flock, especially once they start laying. That's another thing, any guesses as to what color/size egg they may lay? Thanks in advance!

Gargoyle, are you laughing in my direction????? I know you wouldn't laugh at me!
Brie, if you saw how I spoil my chooks you'd probably put me in the unicorn and rainbow category, so no, I wasn't really laughing in your direction- just playing off the U&R comment and seeing where that is a valid perception of some of what happens in some other threads here.

I'm not a chicken old timer, just 3 years, but I am an ornery and crotchety old coot in my area of specialty, and have long been involved in similar discussions elsewhere on the interwebs; places where I long ago shut up and bit my tongue because the newbie hobbyists made it clear they knew more than me. I can treat it much lighter on BYC than I can in some very different realms.

Anyway, my philosophy is that life is much too important to be taken seriously.
celebrate.gif

Quote:
That happens quite a bit here at BYC and even more so on other forums not geared towards just chickens but farming/gardening/livestock husbandry in general.

Was once asked about what the general forum thought about a hollow dug out of the side of a brush pile as a form of "all natural" and "alternative" chicken coop. Of course, the rational answers to that picture were simply not in the realm of their understanding and they were "speechless"~implied that this was a bad thing~at the answers garnered.
roll.png

I understand if it's frowned upon; I wasn't griping. If it's not a big deal though, I'd appreciate some input.

They are around 20-weeks-old, give or take a week. When I got them, they were black with some gold mixed in, so I was hoping for Wyandottes. Well, they are certainly NOT Wyandottes.
gig.gif
I'm curious to know, is it normal for the "blond" headed one to be so pale faced? Is it odd that the "brunette" has so much black on her comb? Is it weird that their combs and wattles are so tiny for their age? They tend to eat differently than my hatchery golden comets. They turn their beaks up at cottage cheese and scrambled eggs and seem to prefer fruit and veg. They are SO skinny compared to my other chickens, even though they eat well. Any way to help them plump up a little before it gets cold? Even if they are mutts, I think I'll enjoy having them in the flock, especially once they start laying. That's another thing, any guesses as to what color/size egg they may lay? Thanks in advance!

They are reverting to a "wild" color and are some kind of hybrid. I can't identify any particular breed when I look at them and the gypsy (dark) face is odd for the way their body form appears. They look very healthy and I would suspect that they will be great free range birds. Usually I can see a dominant breed characteristic, but I don't see anything that stands out.

Walt

Last edited:
When Al was advising me on AI for my SLW breeding, he gave me a recipe for improving the breeder strength that he uses with his Cornish. It has a list if grains and feed mixes a yard long, but is wonderful. It calls for a measure of this , a handful of that and a little Redcell.
I will pull out the list when I get home from Wyoming and add it. I don't use it all the time because it is so rich. When I have a young pair I want to condition for breeding,I pull it out of the freezer.

Last edited:
When Al was advising me on AI for my SLW breeding, he gave me a recipe for improving the breeder strength that he uses with his Cornish. It has a list if grains and feed mixes a yard long, but is wonderful. It calls for a measure of this , a handful of that and a little Redcell.
I will pull out the list when I get home from Wyoming and add it. I don't use it all the time because it is so rich. When I have a young pair I want to condition for breeding,I pull it out of the freezer.
As in horse conditioner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom