Chickens for 10-20 years or more? Pull up a rockin' chair and lay some wisdom on us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I killed a nasty hen like that the other day, except she was nasty to her flockmates instead of me. I'd never tolerate one doing it to me for longer than 2 seconds...she definitely needs a good training or a good killin'.
I know. I've already heard your voice in my head. I came in the house the other day and told my DH that that pullet was going to be my first cull if she pecked me one more time. I'm fed up.

I killed a nasty hen like that the other day, except she was nasty to her flockmates instead of me.  I'd never tolerate one doing it to me for longer than 2 seconds...she definitely needs a good training or a good killin'. 

I know. I've already heard your voice in my head. I came in the house the other day and told my DH that that pullet was going to be my first cull if she pecked me one more time. I'm fed up.
Yep. My very first I'd ever done was one of my first dear sweet beloved chickens I ever had. I cried and I didn't even enjoy eating her but by golly I did it and the rest of them were SO peaceful and happy after that. And killing them is easier for me too. That first one really gets you I guess.

Yep...when you see the egg in the nest, you'll know they are ready to lay.
lau.gif
That's what I always say......
big_smile.png
smile.png
It works for identifiying which ones are pullets too. Everyone kept telling me that Rhoda was a Rodney because her wattles and comb were so big and red. But I kept telling them that I didn't think so because her feathering and body shape looked like a pullet. They insisted I was wrong, so I told them I wasn't making a bet...we'd know when she either layed an egg or crowed. Needless to say I can now tell everyone I am 100% positive Rhoda is a girl.
ya.gif

Yep...when you see the egg in the nest, you'll know they are ready to lay.
lau.gif
That's what I always say......
big_smile.png
Actually, DH is more anxious than I am. He asks EVERY DAY whether we've gotten any eggs yet!!

Did I mention he didn't want to get the chickens? You should see how he watches them. He sometime just stops whatever he's out and about doing just to watch them free range. He actually told me he wants "more" chickens....these 7 aren't going to be enough to take care of all the bugs on our 4.5 acre plot. (I think he just likes seeing the chickens roam the woods and the yard)!

Well, here they are, my first eggs. The first egg had a dark spot...blood? I know that's normal. The next two were perfect. The white nearest the yolk was thick as I expected, but the outer white was runny. Is that normal? I'm not sure if the yolk would be considered large or not as I have nothing to compare it to.

They are so pretty,............ enjoy :)

As do we all...
smile.png
He has caught the "bug" that we all have...there are few things as pretty as fat chickens on the green grass. It just speaks of pastoral peace!
I'm just wondering if I just "go ahead and get some goats" would have the same outcome.

Last edited:
Boers maybe...they seem to act and flock much like sheep. If not Boers, try the hair sheep, Katahdins. You will never regret it...they are the single most easy, cheapest and sweetest sheep I've ever known for keeping on small acreage. Fatten up on grass like others do on grain, gentle, good mothers and naturally parasite resistant and hardy.

Ok this is for the Ot's........My hens are 27 weeks old Partridge Rocks. I am curious if they will get longer tail feathers than in the pic shown? They have def gotten more feathers in the *pant leg* area. My 2 largest hens have nice feather pants for the cold
tongue.png
I have been trying to find a good pic of a Partridge Rock via google but so many pics......I thought maybe one of you had one that could show me what they would look like as an adult?

Also one more thing....I feed the FF to the hens in the am before I leave work. About 1 1/4 cup. They forage for rest. But I swear these hens have a tv in the run because they are always in the there when I check on them. (we ll not always but it seems like that) but if I go out to the run & *talk* to them they answer & come running out. Very vocal towards my calls. And then they will happily forage in their area.....as long as I stay there with them. Could they possibly think I am there *rooster* and they hang in the coop when I am gone for protection? I havent seen the hawk in over a month and there is bird netting over more than half of their area. And as you can see they have pumpkins & fresh leaf & grass cuttings to dig through (ate every blad of grass in that 3 ft pile I swear!!! Leaves were flying lol) & nice dirt with lots of bugs under those leaves. So they def have enough to forage for.
Should I change the feeding to the pm so that they forage before they eat & quit watching the tv in the run? They look like a coffee clutch on their perches in there talking away
yippiechickie.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom