Chickens for almost a year.. first massacre yesterday. :(

Great job, thanks for sharing the story!
I imagine your nursing experience was a great help in even considering doing these procedures.

Hey y'all. :)
Walked onto the porch this morning and looked at Rhoda.. She has lost a lot of bulk through all of this. I know she's sick of the kennel/porch life. Scooped her out and took a look at her bum- still has wounds but nothing is moist at ALL anymore, there is skin coming in in all wound beds and vent is visible- No more dying skin above it.

For whatever reason, i just felt it was time. So on a whim, I plopped her down on the ground outside and walked to the coop to let The Others out. The reunion was most uneventful, much less drama than I imagined. Maybe because they had seen/heard her every day during her recovery? Either way, it went swimmingly. Both Roos tried to woo her buy she scooted away and they didn't mind that.

I will continue to check her in the evenings, but seeing as I haven't treated a thing since last update I think she'll be fine. Thanks again to everyone!

This is truly an amazing story- just read from start to finish. I can't believe there was a happy ending!

I think I'd want to do what you did to try to save a bird in a similar situation, but I just don't have the skills. I wonder how far I could get if faced with a similar problem? At any rate, I'm so happy for you and Rhoda.

Thanks Deacons! What I realized during all of this, is that now I KNOW where the phrase, "she's a tough old bird" came from!! :eek:

Yes, yes, one tough old bird! I'm happy for the both of you as well!

I imagine also that she has the biggest will to live and that reflects on your part in caring for her. Working as a Vet tech many years ago, you can see it in an animals eyes that they know your only trying to help them. I love that....good job!

Great job! And thanks for the update. I'm sure she is happy to be back with the flock!

Yay, good for you and Rhoda. I was thinking about you two today! You did a great thing! I'm glad it turned out this way. Thanks for letting us know how she is. Take care-

So I was just coming back to see how many days it's been (that would be THREE, and yes! My memory is great! LOL) since I turned Rhoda out. I almost came back yesterday with a concern.. Although the re-entry was low-drama, Rhoda distanced herself from the flock- and I mean REALLY distanced, to the point of being out of sight of them constantly AND roosting outSIDE the coop!! I was having to physically put her to roost at night and she wouldn't come off in the AM until everyone was long gone.

Anyway I figured this was normal but was curious as to how long it might last. But now today I notice she appears to have quit distancing herself altogether.. :) So, in this case for those maybe wondering in the future, three. Three days, LOL.

I do hope you continue to update. It is so fascinating (and, even, inspiring- if you can say that about a chicken
smile.png
) to hear how she's doing.

I sure will! Went to close everyone up tonight and she was INside the coop, as I expected.. Was even snuggled up under one of the Roos :) (we are starting to get some chilly nights here, so I'm glad). Now I just can't wait for her to start laying again! I HOPE she will.. :/

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom