Chickens for central Texas hot summers?

I am down here in Lavaca County near lavacaw. This past summer was a brutal one and I saw several livestock type animals die from heat. Including a cow just lay over and die. It was an awful summer.

As for my chickens, I have several kinds...BBS Orps, SS, Had Welsummers, EE's, BR and Silkies. I did loose a couple of silkies during some super hot months. I have 3 black Orps that I was concerned about, but ended up loosing one blue during a particularly hot day. I always keep fresh water and had fans running 24/7 in the coops. I think it was just an exceptional year though. Mine didn't slow down laying from the heat, but did with the feed. I ended up switching to Flockraiser from Layenna and they did and do much better.

I do think most breeds do pretty good down here. I think this past summer was just exceptional for more than just poultry.

This last summer was the most brutal in my memory, and I've lived here all my life. People and pets were dying. This is what got me seriously considering certain breeds for heat. Everyone's advice has been very helpful, and the main point I hear is fresh water and shade, all the time. It's ok with me if they stop laying during the hottest months, as they are going to be pets more than anything. The eggs are a bonus. Thanks all!

We live in Waco, and our BO`s do just fine, as well as our Americaunas and Australorps. Just make sure they ahve plenty of water at all times and shade.
smile.png

We haven`t had trouble with the heat, but watch out for neighbors dogs !!
tongue.png

Laura
10 chickens, 4 Cavalier King Charles Spaniels, a rescue Shepherd, and a chi

Here, here on the dogs! I raised chickens in the dead of summer in Phx AZ a year ago, and didn't loose one. Water and shade was all. Had BO's and they just panted the heat away. I hope I have as good of luck this summer with my larger flock in Waco.

Back
Top Bottom