Chickens from my daughter's preschool

BigBroJake

In the Brooder
Jun 22, 2017
IMG_2133.JPG IMG_2130.JPG IMG_2131.JPG IMG_2132.JPG
My daughter's preschool hatched a mixed flock. I accepted five of these chicks and could use some help identifying their breeds and, if possible, gender.

There are five chicks all about 8 weeks old - one is unique while the other four look like two pairs.

I was not able to get great photos - these are some seriously camera-shy birds. If these are not adequate, I can try for better photos.

One might be a leghorn (white one) and another might be a faverolle (black one with feathered feet and beard). I see 2 roosters in the pictures (the ones with red combs).

View attachment 1051013 View attachment 1051010 View attachment 1051011 View attachment 1051012
My daughter's preschool hatched a mixed flock. I accepted five of these chicks and could use some help identifying their breeds and, if possible, gender.

There are five chicks all about 8 weeks old - one is unique while the other four look like two pairs.

I was not able to get great photos - these are some seriously camera-shy birds. If these are not adequate, I can try for better photos.
I think one is a Leghorn, and the black one may be an Australopithecus.

Thank you, everyone. Aside from the brief excitement of potentially having a caveman in my brooder, I now need to determine what to do with these roosters. I merged the two hens into my main flock of Buff Orpingtons without issue. Aside from chicken stock, is there any good use for a rooster if I am not planning to breed new chicks?

Not all roosters are like this, some try and beat up your hens like most of mine. I've only had one good rooster that was nice to my hens and I think it's because they were all the same age, the problem with him was he was mean to people so we had to get rid of him.

Back
Top Bottom